Things that will cause endless BB arguments - Wiki

I am frankly amazed that we had an argument about Legal Tender that wasn’t caused by Scottish Banknotes. That’s a well-worn argument trigger with plenty of misinformation going about on all sides here.

3 Likes

I honestly believe that veganism would catch on a LOT faster if it weren’t for the already-existing vegans, who are so incredibly off-putting that I always feel compelled to have an extra meat portion after hearing a lecture or harangue.

2 Likes

Dude, as has often been discussed on bbs, that stereotype is, like many or most, a myth.

22 Likes

You know, I hear lots of complaints about those vegans, but almost never actually encounter them. Meanwhile I hear comments all the time from people who eat meat that stereotype or otherwise mock anyone who doesn’t. So, I don’t know, it seems kind of like projection to me…

20 Likes

I honestly believe that a healthy, balanced omnivore diet would catch on a LOT faster if it weren’t for the already-existing carnivores, who are so incredibly off-putting that I always feel compelled to have an extra produce portion after hearing a lecture or harangue.

If I ever do come across an actual vegan who is anywhere near as toxic and insulting, I’ll feel the same way about them, too.

Party time, @milliefink and @chenille!

Celebrate Happy Hour GIF by Patrón Tequila

15 Likes

“I mock people’s food choices and they don’t like it.”

Episode 8 Showtime GIF by Shameless

11 Likes

I try prattle on and on about how wonderful a meat-ivore diet is. I get a lot of “oh yeah, well fuck you, that’s enough, I’m going vegan!”

8 Likes

This pescatarian concurs. I talk about my diet so infrequently that most of my coworkers have no clue that I don’t eat mammals, dinosaurs or sea bugs.

17 Likes

But if you eat just one human and that’s all they remember.

22 Likes

“I’m a humanitarian.”

23 Likes

Like a lot of terrible behavior, it shows up mostly or almost entirely online. I’ve never met an obnoxious evangelizing vegan in the flesh, but I’ve encountered several on the net.

4 Likes

As tiresome as endless arguments are, I must say I’m always learning something when they go down. For example, I had thought pescatarian included any seafood. Now to figure out whether sea bugs mean all invertebrates or only those with exoskeletons.

4 Likes

I simply do not like the sea bugs. :woman_shrugging:

9 Likes
2 Likes

That, or it’s almost as if a certain type of omnivore feels guilty about their dietary choices for whatever reason, and reacts by getting angry or defensive any time it comes up.
One of my good friends is a vegan, and totally chill. One time for one of our building science conferences she built on an existing presentation about the energy/water nexus (bringing water efficiency into the conversations about energy efficiency) and created one titled “the energy/water/food nexus,” about how dietary choices impact our utility demands. It was really interesting, lots of good info, no judgement, though she did mention positive benefits of small changes, like adopting a “meatless Monday” into your routine.
Whenever she gives that talk, there’s almost always a group of at least 3 older white guys who aggressively question and attack her during the Q&A. Sometimes they bring up “lost jobs” if we all go off meat, which is the opposite of true, but also hilarious to think someone would be on the verge of giving up meat and then think, “but I must carry on eating burgers, I do it for the workers!” :joy:

12 Likes

9 Likes

TV’s Frank was a frequent guest on Flugelsang’s Current show for good reason.

5 Likes

If you are not a lawyer, is IANAL really the best way to tell people that?

5 Likes

Is this something people argue about? :thinking: Should we add it to the list?

4 Likes

I like to think that it could be. :wink:

3 Likes