This 12-year-old bottle terrarium is teeming with lush life

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/07/16/this-12-year-old-bottle-terrar.html

6 Likes

This is what future alien visitors will find alive on our burned out husk of a planet.

Assuming some desperate starving human doesn’t crack open the bottle to eat all those delicious organisms.

10 Likes

I’m always amazed by the prehistoric looking animals that are living today. The roly polies (isopods) look like tiny trilobites, although I know they aren’t closely related. They’re both arthropods, but I believe that’s as close as they get. Fascinating stuff.

16 Likes

Back in college one of my room mates kept a loaf of bread in a sealed, institutional sized
mayonnaise jar. It soon developed multiple colonies of colorful mold and bacteria. It became our pet, “Fred the Bread”. When we moved out of the off campus apartment,
we liberated Fred in the woods-

18 Likes

5 Likes

This is really cool. I wish it said what was put into the jar originally.

8 Likes

That show is both good and messed up.

3 Likes

I was entertained by it but found it to be a mixed bag. I did like that the B plot ended up being this rather dramatic and emotional story that eclipsed the main plot and characters. But oveall the quality and tone had odd fluctuations.

3 Likes

And that’s how you build a generation ship.

5 Likes

This is my unicorn chaser for today :unicorn:

4 Likes

I have some coffee cups around that might be in a similar situation, I should see if I can find them.

4 Likes

We cleaned out the apartment of a friend who had to leave abruptly. I vividly remember the pile of dirty dishes in the sink, and the fern growing from a chipped plate edge. Life finds a way…

8 Likes

I’m finally cleaning and restoring the rotted door jam corners in this house. This all looks so familiar

4 Likes

I guess i’m the only one who is sad that the worms didn’t make it

2 Likes
2 Likes

You might be interested to know that Armadillidiidae are more closely related to shrimp than any other insect.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.