This 1987 video of people at a 7-Eleven is a charming time capsule

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2017/10/27/this-1987-video-of-people-at-a.html

3 Likes

That fucken’ RULED!

1 Like

It is SO WEIRD to see people casually smoking inside a 7-Eleven.

15 Likes

Paid for it with a buck. How much do slurpees cost now?

3 Likes

There was a 7-11 right in my neighborhood…how many happy hours did we spend playing Dig-Dug and Megazone there and spend in and around it just using it as a social hub? Yes, that was a long, long time ago. 2017 sucks.

14 Likes

That felt positively international compared to 1980s north central Florida.

3 Likes

sweet jeebus, that popped collar! and man, seeing that dude just standing there smoking… and what did that guy say he wanted with a 5lb bag of sugar at 2:30 in the morning?? he was totally going to dump it in someone’s gas tank, right? right?

7 Likes

1987 was not that long ago! It was NOT!

OK, maybe it was. But I do remember 32 oz sodas costing 69 cents. And those were usually the biggest you could get, a whole quart! The smalls were 12 oz. Now, the sizes start at 32 oz, right?

6 Likes

I was a junior or senior in college depending on what part of 1987 you’re talking about. We were allowed to smoke in the halls between classes.

Extra credit: I had an Existential Philosophy professor who used to smoke in class (which wasn’t allowed—but it didn’t really matter.)

4 Likes
1 Like

6 Likes

Or a garbage can with grain alcohol and kool aid. I prefer to think the best of people.

7 Likes

I think everyone is missing a point here.

They where all stoned as hell.

2 Likes

We could smoke in high school in 78. Not in the building but they had a smoking area near the lunch room loading dock…where kids could smoke.
Teachers could smoke in the teachers lounge.

5 Likes

I think anyone of us that was around back then just kind of accepts that they were stoned…

4 Likes

You used to be able to smoke in the lecture halls at my community college, and ashtrays were provided. But they banned it when I started so I never got to enjoy taking notes with smoke stinging my eyes.

3 Likes

Step 1. everyone coming to the party brings a bottle of booze as a door fee. rum, vodka, tequila, bourbon, etc.
Step 2. dump it all in the largest container you have. garbage can, mom’s electric roaster, whatever
Step 3. add 1 bag of sugar (like 8-10 cups) and 8-10 packets of kool-aid.

Makes 5 gallons of sugary booze. Assuming a party of about 50 people where you average about 1 bottle per couple donated. That leaves about one red cup 3/4ths full which is about 6 shots. If you drink 2 of those cups then you’ll be completely wasted. If you drink 3 you’ll be pretty sick. And 4 gets your stomach pumped. (true story)

6 Likes

Oh, I remember. My first drunk and my first hangover (a bad one) after about 3 cups of hunch punch in the spring of 85.

3 Likes

It’s 2:30 AM at a 7-Eleven, I figured that was implied.

Reminder, the camera he was holding was likely something like this one which I had:imgres-13 not a cell phone…

3 Likes