This 1988 Doublemint gum ad is selling something

The whole place is pickled / The people are pickles for sure.

4 Likes

I might, but I like my fillings where they’re at.

3 Likes

That certainly could be Catalina Island, which used to host a cute little annual juggling convention. I went to the first one, which would be just around the time of this ad, in fact.
https://www.jugglingedge.com/event.php?EventID=1124

2 Likes

Those ladies are communicating telepathically… freaking me out !

2 Likes

This article about the Doublemint Twins highlights how many twins are given rhyming or alliterative names.
As a twin, I find this practice alarming. Fortunately, my parents had the good sense to name me and my twin sibling with different-sounding names.

5 Likes

Right. The proper word is an “othery.”

Anthonyl, the jingle that infected my brain was “Double your pleasure / Double your fun / With Doublemint Doublemint, Doublemint gum.” Back in the 70s a friend and I participated in a market research test where they showed a bunch of commercials and asked which ones we remembered. Among them was a Doublemint commercial, but both of us hated the jingle so much that we deliberately forgot the commercial on our forms. It didn’t make any difference. The jingle lasted for several more years.

3 Likes

It occurs to me that when they stopped advertising gum on TV, I stopped buying/chewing it. I haven’t chewed gum in years.

1 Like

Have they really stopped doing that? I watch TV with ads very rarely, but I kinda thought there were still gum ads.

1 Like

When I was a kid, there were commercials for a “gum that won’t stick to your dental work” and I thought that was really odd. I thought it meant for braces, but my orthodontist disabused me of that notion in due time.

Nowadays, though, I don’t really chew gum, because it sticks to my dental work (doh!) though a quickie with mint gum to kill coffee breath is do-able in a pinch.

2 Likes

Yep. My wife goes through about one of these a month.

Don draper would’ve been just 61 when this came out. I’m going to guess the team that made this got their start in the late 50’s.

1 Like
3 Likes

Gum?

I think it’s gum.

4 Likes

3 Likes

Certainly not Rotterdam either.

1 Like

Or the jingle lyrics can be very open-ended.

♫ Take a sniff / Pull it out / The taste is gonna move you when you pop it in your mouth ♫

4 Likes

Don Draper wouldn’t have made it to 61.

2 Likes

I was sort of making a joke, but come to think of it, it’s been a long time since I’ve watched broadcast TV.

I will say that there were a lot of products that were advertised in my childhood and youth that are not advertised (as) much these days, probably because ad costs have far exceeded the ROI on certain products. Gum would seem to be one of those.

1 Like

Freedent. I remember my dad thinking it was a tie-in to the Bicentennial.

3 Likes

Huh. I didn’t read the gum ad as a twin fetish thing so much as a lesbian thing, I guess because it was two short-haired well-dressed women on vacation together and glancing at each other a lot.

1 Like