This $27,000 airplane "seat" is actually a shower, bedroom, and living room

Avery Thorn: ‘like 90% of expensive things that “normal” people use on YouTube, it was comp’ed by the airline in exchange for the publicity.’

Is the distance travelled missing or did I miss it? I suspect Seattle to L.A. was all they wanted to afford.

2 Likes

The nice thing about fashion is that every generation gets to reinvent it.

2 Likes

You mean continue to do so? It’s no wonder we don’t have comfortable seating, since rich assholes are taking up all the space on the plane…
It’d be interesting to look at the economics of that kind of arrangement - are all the cattle car passengers effectively subsidizing that cabin space? Normally, with just first class seating, it goes the other direction, but that’s the equivalent of a heck of a lot of seats there.

Per The Points Guy (https://thepointsguy.com/guide/ultimate-guide-etihad-residence/)
the routes where this is currently offered are:

NYC - Abu Dhabi
London - Abu Dhabi
Paris - Abu Dhabi
Sydney (Austrailia) - Abu Dhabi
Seoul - Abu Dhabi

They don’t fly this hardware from Seattle to LA on a regular basis. It could have been a press day or something like that. The landing location is mentioned at 7:10 in the video; I can’t make it out, but I think it is Abu Dhabi. I think London and Paris are the shortest hops that this is offered on, and they are about 8 and 7 hours, respectively. We do see him taking off in the daylight and landing in the morning, but with a fast airplane that doesn’t always indicate an overnight trip (but it does rule out Seattle to LA).

2 Likes

That’s…a stretch. No.

After I typed up my reply above, I also thought “Hum, I wonder if the Jones Act has a airline equivalent?”; and I learned about Cabotage. A really interesting area of the law, it prevents foreign airlines from operating point-to-point transit within a country; and it’s why in the USA with regards to airlines we can’t have nice things domestically. :slight_smile:

Oh my god, it’s a mirage
I’m tellin’ y’all it’s Cabotage… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yes, was most likely a studio prop.

True, but there tends to be a conflict between trendy and traditional.

To fly from New York to Abu Dhabi on a 380 takes 12 hrs and 40 minutes

Economy 453
Business 6396
First 16650
Residence 27320

Now, an A380 costs $26,000 per hour, so figure $330K for the entire flight.

The residence (if occupied), pays for 8 percent. It occupies 12 square meters.

The A380 has 550 square meters of usable floor space. So, if you can get someone to buy a residence ticket, it’s 8 percent of your costs for 2 percent of your space.

Etihad might be able to squeeze in three first class suites in the space taken up by the residence, but selling them consistently?

https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Etihad_Airways/Etihad_Airways_Airbus_A380.php

6 Likes

How the fuck did someone at Etihad (which I have flown in coach and found to have excellent service) get bamboozled to the point where they became convinced to give this asshat (he sure is) a free ticket? The story of how the freebee was acquired is much more interesting and potentially subversive, assuming daddy isn’t a hedge fund bitch with connections to UAE investment assets.

some asshats have 11.6 million subscribers.

1 Like

Etihad thinks this will help? I guess…

1 Like

it worked didn’t it?

You could look at The Economics of Airline Class

In short: no.

1 Like

Well, as I said, that dynamic isn’t true with first class, but this is a whole different ball of wax, with radically increased cabin space use. (Granted, a lot comes down to how much people are actually paying for these cabins. The ostensible ticket price is also radically different in price, too.)

@jerwin made a much niftier calculation above and it’s still a no. Dollar-for-dollar the grotesque suite is 60 economy seats.

1 Like

So what it comes down to is if people are actually paying full price for these seats, which it doesn’t sound like they are, at least not very often.

at the end of the video, the attendant says, “welcome to … NewYork”.

Thank you for that, I couldn’t understand what she said. Which seems pretty legit, I can’t understand when I’m on the plane either. :slight_smile:

I really don’t understand why Bytheway is so resistant to the concept that it’s just a comped ticket on a regularly scheduled flight. It’s by far the cheapest option. Sometimes not lying is a whole lot easier and a lot less expensive than lying.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.