This 87-year-old man can deadlift 405 lbs.

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/09/07/this-87-year-old-man-can-deadl.html

7 Likes

iT’S GO TIME!

7 Likes

6 Likes

Excellent.

4 Likes

And I can deadlift 87 lbs.

13 Likes

Are you 405 years old?

17 Likes

I can dead-lift a similar amount; though, admittedly, that is mainly body fat.

7 Likes

4 Likes

I remember watching a video of an elderly woman doing around 180/lbs in a deadlift. And here I am having troubling doing 100/lbs at 38. :expressionless:

4 Likes

Gosh, he doesn’t even have to take his shirt off to do it!

2 Likes

Geez - I can barely lift myself up out of this chair.

3 Likes

I got a hernia just watching that.

7 Likes

Each time I got to the word broke in the article I thought the next word was going to be the name of some body part.

I’m happy to be wrong; very impressive fitness.

4 Likes

Impressive. Back in HS my best was 315lbs. With my shit leg I can’t even do that stuff any more.

3 Likes

I’m going to start training now and hope to deadlift 405 lbs by the age of 87.

405 lbs cumulatively, that is.

5 Likes

Not to be a nitpicker, but he’s not actually doing a deadlift. He’s doing a rack-pull. Combined with the sumo stance, his vertical range of motion looks like it’s less than a foot. Also, you can’t say that he’s doing it for reps if he is bouncing off the bottom. The deadlift is defined as starting from a dead stop. Still, kind of impressive, I guess, but not as impressive as the lede would suggest.

5 Likes

I’ve never understood weightlifting. I’ve tried it, but it’s so boring I can’t stand it.

5 Likes

How much does he weigh?

There’s a certain appeal in being able to track your progress with hard numbers, and exhaustion can provide a welcome alternative to existential panic. But then, those are not features necessarily exclusive to weightlifting.

3 Likes

It’s not the process, it’s the results.

Of course you can get similar results doing other things, like throwing hay all day.

2 Likes