This armed security camera uses AI to fire paintballs or tear gas at trespassers

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/04/15/this-armed-security-camera-uses-ai-to-fire-paintballs-or-tear-gas-at-trespassers.html

5 Likes

Sounds like a lawsuit-generating machine.

34 Likes

Torment nexus, etc.

23 Likes

They really called the “AI” running this thing “Eve”? What is this a low budget sci-fi movie?

14 Likes

“IDENTIFY YOURSELF”

“I’m the letter carrier.”

“YOU ARE NOT THE LETTER CARRIER”

" The regular one’s on vaca…AAH, MY EYE!!"

(I’m pretty sure it’s a parody, though.)

18 Likes

Can’t wait for some judge with PTSD and a 93 IQ to extend the castle doctrine for this shit. Maybe we’ll even get land mines decriminalized.

6 Likes
  1. This is going to end up in a lawsuit when it shoots out the eye of a different mail man covering someone’s route. (ETA - looks like someone else had the same idea, jinx!)

2. Just because I used to be huge into paintball, I am curious how the actual paintball mechanism works. How it is fed, how is the gas supplied, and what kind of paintballs they are using. CO2 actually don’t work great if stored outside for a long time, too much flux and on really hot days they can over pressurize and burst their bursts disks (or explode if you don’t have those). So, compressed air? It says pepper and UV versions for the paintballs, so probably some sort of thin plastic shelled ones, vs standard gelatin, as gelatin ones will swell, melt, freeze, or crack in weather.

3. Depending on the local laws, I am pretty sure this might be considered assault. I remember when I played that it was a hazard for anyone doing “outlaw” ball in the woods, that accidentally hitting someone could be really bad. (one of the reasons to not do it).

4. Anytime there is an “X seconds to comply” scenario, I will not resist posting this absolute banger.

9 Likes

I’m just shocked it’s taken that long, really.

Project Sentry Gun did a nice build about a decade ago.

3 Likes

I wonder how it would perform against a modest investment.

13 Likes

Also, how do they even expect this to work as a deterrent? If someone has nefarious intent, a freaking paint ball isn’t going to do shit except maybe piss them off. I know the pro guns carry a wallop, but I’d be shocked if this thing had enough muzzle velocity to even burst a paint ball against anything other than a concrete wall.

4 Likes

I love the efficiency of this device.

It’ll commit the offense AND provide the evidence for the personal injury trial. All that from one compact, tidy device!

10 Likes
5 Likes

I don’t imagine emergency responders such as firefighters, police or paramedics would be much amused by encountering one of these devices.

9 Likes

Joke’s on them, decades of video gaming could not have prepared me better for this sort of thing.

It DOES project a visible laser beam or a big glowing cone, right?

11 Likes

I have sort of assumed that various corporations have already patented lethal versions of things like this for various militarized ‘no go’ zones. Said rationale being ‘nobody can go into x zone, therefore anyone in x zone is an enemy combatant’.

That tiny step closer to autonomous kill bots.

5 Likes

Even a paintball gun cranked up to fire “hot” (faster than 300FPS) hurts at close range, but it isn’t going to stop a determined person who plans to literally break and enter. It might send off stray dogs or someone just cutting across your yard moving away faster (which then just makes you an asshole for shooting a paintball at them).

The pepper ball effect might also dissuade people, but I am not even really sure how effective they are at crowd control. There isn’t a lot of volume in a ball and I don’t know how potent something like that is vs traditional spray. The handful of times I’ve seen footage of it, its more cops harassing protestors with something that smarts, but doesn’t cause as serious of harm as rubber bullets or bean bags rounds.

7 Likes

This would probably be considered a booby trap in many jurisdictions, and be very illegal.

9 Likes

I think that WALL-E had a reasonably high production budget, actually.

d9hbhkk-ae0f9ecb-bf95-496d-8a5e-39843d2fc81b

It never did make sense that EVE was programmed to shoot anything that moved when her mission objective was to determine if earth was capable of sustaining life, but whatever.

9 Likes

As much as I adore Pixar, they seem feel the need to shoehorn guns into almost every film. Ratatouille, a film about gastronomy, somehow opened with a 4 minute scene of a grandmother blasting her own home to bits.

Reaction GIF by The Weather Channel

6 Likes

More recently, I Did A Thing did also that thing.

3 Likes