This beard trimmer does a great job of trimming my beard

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/08/10/this-beard-trimmer-does-a-grea.html

Don’t listen to her, do the musketeer beard!

I am really thinking about it. I have very few f2f meetings for the next week beyond driving her to gymnastics camps.

The nicads (nicads!) in my old Norelco finally gave up the ghost. The model you posted looks like a fair deal for just the things I needed. And it has 60 minutes of run time. My only disappointment is the separate, fixed depth beard trimming gauges rather than the adjustable one I used to have.

The replacement I bought at Costco is similar to the one you posted, but waterproof, and with more extras I don’t actually use, like a wide hair cutting blade. But the one feature it has that I hope the model you posted has is that you can hold down the power off button for 3 seconds to “lock” the button, requiring a similar long press to turn it back on. I’ve had shavers and trimmers turn on when packed, so a lock feature is key for travel - otherwise I was going to have to make a key cover to place over the power button.

My dissenting opinion - get a standard, corded hair clipper (think barber shop or boot camp). They come with a range of length guides, are built like trucks, and you can also cut your hair (and other people’s!) with them. I have had a series of perfectly adequate cordless beard trimmers, but it struck me that I rarely walked around the house trimming, so the cord was not really a problem crying out for a solution… (not ideal for long trips, admittedly).

A fair point. And I have gone through at least three battery operated models over the years, which seems wasteful. (As does the very existence of devices with non-user replaceable rechargeable batteries which make otherwise durable equipment disposable.)

Edit: Even my barber uses a cordless trimmer for trimming, in spite of having a big, corded trimmer hanging next to it. Narrower blade, I think. I’ll have to ask.

My Panasonic has such batteries. I’ve replaced them, it isn’t really that hard, I assume the same is true for other brands. Also, when the charging cord is plugged in it runs off the mains, so becomes a corded trimmer.

Not sure if my now discarded norelco was glued/welded shut or if it had tabs one could use a spudger on, so I didn’t even consider opening it. Either way, it was not a “corded” trimmer by dint of being plugged in. The charging cord only charged. Using the trimmer turned off the charging input and powered the trimmer motor from the nicads. It was a trickle charger. Which meant when it was dead you couldn’t run it off the charger. You had to wait until the batteries charged up enough to use - and a shower wasn’t long enough :frowning:

I have a portable battery pack like that: when the pack is being recharged, you can’t run anything off it. I think that’s bad design.

glued/welded shut

That’s what Dremel tools are for.

Good of them to offer spare blades. But anyone making non waterproof beard trimmers are guilty of adding significantly to the growing pile of electronic waste in the (near) future.

How so? None of my past trimmers died for lack of waterproofing.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.