This British gent lives life like it's the 1940s

???

[Citation required]
I AM a Brit myself, and that doesn’t reflect my experience. I rarely eat it myself (not a criticism; just not a favourite), and I’m not aware of it occupying an especial priority in shops and everyday culture. It’s not rare, but no more common than, say, a korma or madras.

Wiki says stir-fry is more common, though:

• that’s a style of cooking, not a recipe
  • the cited sources are dodgy tabloids
2 Likes

One thing that I appreciate about this fellow’s decor is that he has chosen to furnish the back of the house in stuff that was old in 1946. I really get tired of watching period piece films in which all the cars are shiny new models from the year of the setting.

16 Likes

Huh, didn’t know. I thought I got i from QI or something, but
I suppose the journalistic standards for a comedy program aren’t
the highest :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hate based on race is bad enough- but when most of those people have never
even met a non white person - well - there’s a lot of punching needed.

1 Like

Oh dear, that austerity-style chicory-essence coffee substitute. Flashbacks now. THANKS.

4 Likes

Killing Jews particularly wasn’t about communism or part of the communist ideology. In fact, the original communist program emancipated Jews in areas where they had been denied political rights. When things went south though, the local fascist, anti-semitic tradition came through loud and clear.

3 Likes

Napoleon was a commie?

Yes, antisemitism wasn’t a part of communist ideology, but it was cynically used by communists to eliminate people it percieved as a threat. From Wikipedia:

Blockquote
During the night of 12–13 August 1952, remembered as the “Night of the Murdered Poets” (Ночь казнённых поэтов), thirteen of the most prominent Yiddish writers of the Soviet Union were executed on the orders of Stalin. Among the victims were Peretz Markish, David Bergelson and Itzik Fefer.

You’re right about local antisemitism, but was also efficiently used by communist governments. Propaganda posters from the period can be easily found on the Internet.

For a more horrible example of local antisemitism (committed in collaboration with nazis):

1 Like

And yet if your family is Polish, as part of mine is and was, it’s really NOT surprising at all… same species of great ape, same social problems. Or consider, it’s been a long time since any Polish people got to have their very OWN brand of fascism. The thing about Fascism is everyone always thinks it’s unique, new, and individual when it’s their fascism.

1 Like

Or, better yet, get it in a predominantly Mexican town.
Yum.

Does this guy ever take a break from his timezone and party like it’s 1899?

4 Likes

I Wish I could ignore reality, I’d never have to go nowhere!!!

1 Like

This is why love BB. Three threads in the comments proceeding in parallel: the rise of fascism, assessing the challenges of the OP subject’s life, relative popularity of types of cuisine in the UK.

BTW, everyone knows Spaghetti Bolognese (no relation to the Italian dish) is the UK’s favourite dish. I will accept no conuter-arguments.

4 Likes

I may be wrong, but those lapels look very wide for utility pattern (CC41) jacket.
Edited to add: It looks like I WAS wrong. The even allowed double breasted jackets, which surprised me. ISTR that trouser cuffs were prohibited, though.

1 Like

Whoops. My bad. I’m American. :blush:

1 Like

3 Likes

Vancouver has a man who lives in a period 1912 apartment…WITHOUT a fridge! And I can confirm, he hosts the best tinfoil-hat parties! Legendary, actually.

4 Likes

He runs into the Underground stations whenever he hears a siren?

5 Likes

I frequently vacation in the past, most recently about 46 B.C. :slight_smile:

It’s actually pretty great (if you’re not in a city, you’ve got a good axe and tinderbox, you haven’t got dental caries or intestinal parasites or liver flukes or rats or plague or poor vision or any other sort of physical handicap, and have decent handicraft and wilderness survival skills).

In my everyday life I pick and choose, though. I’m trying for the best features of all centuries, which means I don’t take very much from the 21st, but quite a lot from the 19th and 20th.

1 Like

The dead don’t complain.

1 Like