Watch this video to see how Laci Fay and her family live every aspect of their lives like its 1958

Originally published at: Watch this video to see how Laci Fay and her family live every aspect of their lives like its 1958 | Boing Boing

1 Like

I’m kind of afraid to ask how they react when a Black person tries to get a seat at that soda fountain.

56 Likes

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing about a black neighbor moving next door.

Just how far and deep does this (apparently white) effort to recreate the 1950s go for this couple? :thinking:

25 Likes

Only a white person would do this.

42 Likes

Doesn’t seem right for someone living their life in the past. Shouldn’t it say something like “she’s never stopped looking back since” or “she’s never looked forward since”?

22 Likes

Um, just curious… does Laci Faye use/have any kind of access to the internet?

26 Likes

Interesting, for about a second.

17 Likes

Indeed. I get my 50’s fix from Psychobilly shows and Mrs. Maisel.

16 Likes

Word… watching her glibly gush about how “great” the 50’s sounded to her was cringe-inducing.

I also like retro fashion (when it comes to clothes) but I would never want to live in those times, for obvious reasons.

36 Likes

Hopefully they are “vintage style not vintage values” people.

And yes that is a whole thing with vintage enthusiasts, and yes there are LGBTQ and BIPOC people who do stuff like this.

26 Likes

You and me both Sister.

13 Likes

Absolutely; it’s just the cluelessness of her obvious White privilege that is so jarring.

17 Likes

Ah gushing is cringy.

Whiter people are less likely to have the more nuanced takes for obvious reasons.

14 Likes

Exactly.

When discussions of time travel come up (as they do amongst us nerdy folks) it’s always a bummer to acknowledge that even if it were possible to do without wrecking the space-time continuum, I still wouldn’t ever be able to safely travel to certain periods in American history…

19 Likes

Must be in their garage.

36 Likes

I’m just wondering how faithful this person is to their ‘idealized lifestyle’ when most modern tech that we now find indispensable didn’t even exist back in 1958.

14 Likes

Perhaps something along these lines, maybe a lesson in establishing one’s – position? – early on: For ~30 years, the proven best hands-on, go-to, engine pump tech at Rocketdyne (Shuttle Main Engines) happened to be an Hispanic American. Call him Danny. He once told me of an encounter he had with a new neighbor (lady next door) who one day saw him working in his backyard. She struck up a conversation with him. She laughed at his funny observations; Danny could always do that – stranger or not – and had the gift of gab. It was later that the lady met Danny’s wife… who happens to be White. Said the lady to Danny’s wife: “Your gardener is so funny!”

11 Likes

Like Civil War and WWII German soldier re-enactors.

9 Likes

Maybe she just loves all the legal amphetamines.

23 Likes

Why 1958, though? Why not, say 1954?

6 Likes