This Burning Man documentary traces its history from a bohemian gathering to a global movement

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/07/24/this-burning-man-documentary-t.html

2 Likes

“bohemian gathering to a global movement”

Uh… so does it explain what they have done globally? I mean it is internationally famous, but a movement?

1 Like

They took a wrong turn somewhere…

2 Likes

Yes, just a rung up the ladder from cult.

1 Like

I don’t think its a cult. Its more of Comic Con for people who like drugs and art and other things.

I’m pretty sure what Rusty meant that it has gone from “bohemian gathering” to one percenter and instagram/celebrity destination.

6 Likes

A Bohemian Grove for the rich on the left. In 40 years, Alex Jones IV will explain the occult satanic significance of lighting the man on fire, and other symbols whose meaning has been forgotten.

2 Likes

What “other” things?

[note sarcasm]

Yeah, but I wouldn’t characterize it as a “global movement”.

Then again I was disappointed in the “molten steel” video not being molten.

I know, I know, certain language gets more click throughs, but words have meanings.

The phrasing does need to be refined. I would say that Burning Man is an internationally renown event, involving international talents and makers as well. There is a possibility that Burning Man has inspired other countries to try their hand at similar events, i can’t say for sure but my hunch is that it’s most likely the case. At least here in the US there’s smaller local burner events across various states. When i lived in Vegas i attended one called Green Man that was really small, about 100 people, and me and an ex camped out, drank, hung out and had a blast.

1 Like

I don’t know what to think of Burning Man. I never went. I had a friend pass through my “last stand in a college town!” years after she had gone to the the second or third one. 95 maybe? 96? I dunno the nineteenhundreds.

I was so festivaled-out at that point in my life. And I just knew that I would never attend regardless of the organized shows, parties, raves that had been a part of my life.

I was just ready to not do that for a while.

And then it became a thing with seniority attached to it. Then dollars. All of that while I was tumbling out of the economy with “i’m never going to get to afford to like travel again; i’m never going to be able to party like that again” mentality.

And that mentality of mine doesn’t really smile at Burning Man.

Although people joining together for annual festivals and wacko human behavior is certainly not a late 20th early 21st century only affair.

So although I won’t go I’m not interested in trying to put any sort of kibosh on it. And decades later all I can say is that even the modern primitive appears destined to be a vessel of exploitation.

I kind of had the opportunity to go a few times in the late 2000’s to early 2010’s, but money was definitely the reason why i was unable to go. I lament it because i think it’s a scene i would be interested in, even though i’m not one for the desert rave type of lifestyle. But at this point it’s become so ingrained with celebs, artists, and social media people that i no longer would want to attend.

I would rather go to a smaller event if given the chance :slight_smile: as i said above, i did get to go one a few years back and i highly enjoyed it.

2 Likes

As a Lightning In A Bottle battery, I give thanks for Burning Man’s energies and all the energies of all those willing to try to make things best for everyone while we travel on this crazy ride called life.

Jeff, one of the first officials to OK the Black Rock site said it best: “Have fun!”

It was cool in the 90s, then people like General Wesley Clark started going to it.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.