This consumer-grade flamethrowing robot dog is finally available for sale

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/04/26/this-consumer-grade-flamethrowing-robot-dog-is-finally-available-for-sale.html

5 Likes

Coming soon to a location near you:
Crowd control
Gender reveal parties

8 Likes

I don’t want to live in a world where you can’t legally purchase a flamethrowing robot dog.

10 Likes

I would love to live in a world where legally purchasing a flamethrowing robot dog wouldn’t be cause for concern. We do not live in that world.

12 Likes

I’ll wait for Elon Musk’s Not A Flamethrower Robot Dog.

2 Likes

While ‘The Three Laws’ were never going to be implementable in software (“uh, which python library includes a ‘human_injury’ predicate?”) perhaps some cunning legal scholar (looking at you @danimagoo [wink]) can instead encode them as Laws of device ownership. (“after-all we’ve done so well with gun laws…”)

1 Like

And I think of all the care I’ve been taking to make sure my home/workshop/vehicles don’t catch fire…

Have I been thinking about this the wrong way?

:thinking:

5 Likes

I usually look forward to all of the cool mods people do where they get DOOM to run on hardware that was never intended to run DOOM.

I suggest passing on that mod for this particular product.

6 Likes

“Ohio-based flamethrower manufacturers” is a downright chilling combination of words. But it could be redeemed if their motto makes reference to the Cuyahoga River fire.

6 Likes

Make riding mechanical animals great again!

Kids, a reference to a time when olds rode mechanical bulls in bars and movies were made about it.

1 Like

Farenheit 451…

6 Likes

Excited Tom Hiddleston GIF by Marvel Studios

8 Likes

mc chris needs to update his lyrics!

2 Likes

And to think, we’re only 8 months from a Christmas Apocalypse!

We’re only two weeks until Mother’s Day.

2 Likes

It’s pretty telling that someone’s first thought is to put a flame thrower on a robot dog rather than a fire extinguisher, which seems like the sort of thing that would be beneficial in a non-hellscape.

3 Likes

They won’t be able to sell them in California unless they dial back the flamethrower so that the range doesn’t exceed 10 feet. And in Maryland users would need a Federal Firearms license. But anywhere else in the U.S. is completely legal.

1 Like

Probably going to be an option for Optimus, but you know the flamethrower will not be mounted on its back.

Why not? Do you really think that Elon will be able to resist making his robot do giant flaming farts for the juvenile humor? I don’t.

1 Like

I case you wanted it to be worse their website has a “clout” tab:

I assume that there are some boring and responsible applications where you really need drip torch at a distance; but that detail does not fill me with confidence in this vendor being focused on those.

2 Likes