This determined dog insists on fitting a long plank of wood into a small door opening

Originally published at: This determined dog insists on fitting a long plank of wood into a small door opening | Boing Boing

5 Likes

Purebred dogs are adorable but mutts are smarter.

3 Likes

Unless the purebred is a border collie

4 Likes

OK, he has it inside! Now what?

3 Likes

I suggest that had this been filmed in landscape instead of portrait doggo would not have had any trouble.

15 Likes

Now he’s going to chew that plank and tear it apart (creating both a mess and health-hazard for himself). That’s got to be a highly destructive, high-maintenance dog - I got exhausted just contemplating what it must be like to be his human.

2 Likes

When I was a pre schooler about 60 years ago my parents had a sophisticated woman friend, the kind who were often nicknamed “Jinx” in those days, who had one of these dogs. “Fritz” was his name, but I called him “Fridge”. Anyway, Fridge lived about three to four blocks away from our house and frequently he would find me in the neighbourhood, looking for help to get back home. “I’m lost Bro! Where do I live?” Every time I’d take him home he was astonished and grateful . Really nice dog, though

4 Likes

In one of my first jobs working with a test mechanic, I witnessed the following: The mech put a wrench to a B-nut. In his effort to tighten it, a B-nut on the same piping loosened. Predictable. He noticed this and went to that B-nut for a re-tightening. Predictably, the first B-nut also loosened. This went on for a couple of cycles. I finally had to tell this aerospace mech how to use two wrenches. Within a dog’s world and our expectations, that purebred dog was smarter than the mech.

2 Likes

I’ve often noted when observation and inference are all that are required to guide a response or action, dogs are the equal or better of humans. Of course, I am usually the “test human” so maybe it’s me… To illustrate what I mean, some years ago we had two dogs, a basset and a border collie, both usually well behaved. One morning after a heavy snowfall I let the dogs out the back door; immediately the basset turned around and pushed the struggling border collie back into the house, barking and snarling. What’s going on? I looked into the yard, there were fresh footprints up to the electrical meter. One day about two months previously a meter reader left the gate to back yard open; usually not an issue but the border collie decided to have an adventure. He was old, so we all thought this might be a final journey situation; in my experience, dogs who are free to roam will often go away when death is near. Anyway, all the people and dogs were out looking for the border collie on a “freezing rain” early dark morning. The dog turned up miles away at a vet’s office, visiting other animals, and all was well, but the basset was very stressed by the incident. He saw the footprints, made the connection, and took action all while I was trying to figure out what was going on.

5 Likes

It cracks me up that when he can’t get the plank through the door the first time, he drops it and then checks to see if the door is actually open. That shows a certain amount of intelligence.

8 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.