This Diablo IV liquid-cooled gaming PC contains real human blood

Originally published at: This Diablo IV liquid-cooled gaming PC contains real human blood | Boing Boing

1 Like

… very edgy :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

I thought that it was shown in a Seinfeld episode that blood makes a poor coolant for machinery?

2433cac7-c8ab-47a2-8fe6-374a7cc0da47_text

3 Likes

David Tennant Cheating GIF by Doctor Who

4 Likes

Based on an older short story I can’t find right now1) and now apparently morphed into an American movie and a TV series.

1) I’m pretty sure it’s in an old GDR anthology of Eastern Bloc SF short stories I’ve got somewhere in the book piles.

1 Like

Of course, it’s not clear what “infused” actually means but it’s still a bloody good idea for a promotional campaign!

“Infused”… as in the tiniest amount needed to avoid fraud charges. Perhaps something like this much . mixed in with the cooling media.

2 Likes

I’m still wiping down our Amazon purchases before they come into the house, I don’t think I could handle someone’s blood coursing through my computer.

2 Likes

As someone who has built and repaired an uncountable number of computers over the last six decades, I have encountered all manner of jagged, poorly stamped steel parts used in their construction. And I am far from alone in this experience. I can assure you that a large number of existing computers already have some amount of real human blood in them.

The only difference here is the awareness campaign.

9 Likes

True That

2 Likes

In fact, PCs require blood sacrifice to work. I said that jokingly for years, since I always cut myself up (once or twice badly) on sheet metal when building PCs. I eventually built a PC that “just ran” without any problems.

…or so I thought. There was one thing not quite working right. When I opened it up for a final adjustment, though I wasn’t working anywhere near the drive bays or anything that should have been dangerous, I somehow dragged a knuckle across a raw sheet metal edge and just barely cut myself. A single crimson drop landed on the chassis next to the mainboard. I made my fix, closed the computer up, and it ran without needing any physical maintenance for many years.

They really do demand blood.

ETA: On the original topic, I think the last thing I want in my PC is cooling fluid that coagulates

7 Likes

Homeopathic quantities? Somehow they avoid fraud charges.

2 Likes

I haven’t had a PC that demands blood for 20 years, at least until I built my last one. Not only was building it frustrating, I kept cutting my knuckles. Then a drive failed when I tested it, and it took more blood from me when I replaced it.

I ended up calling it Muramasa when it got put on my network.

It has also been told that once drawn, a Muramasa blade has to draw blood before it can be returned to its scabbard

4 Likes

Confused Confusion GIF

1 Like

Great name!

After case designs matured and started deburring their edges (side note: how did that take so long?!??) is when I got my worst cuts, ironically. Around the same time, the drive bays got fancy plastic covers that clipped into place and had to be pushed out from the inside, where you couldn’t see the clips. On two builds in a row, several years apart, I was pushing out a drive bay cover without realizing that the other drive bays had “bend out” metal covers behind the plastic…ostensibly for EMI protection? Anyway, you see where this is going. Push out on the plastic cover until it gives, hand goes through the drive bay slot from the inside, delicate flesh shredded by raw edges on the remaining bay covers I didn’t know about. Good times.

Bought my last PC pre-built during the pandemic lockdown. Was pricier, but I haven’t had to bleed in it yet, so there’s that.

1 Like

How long did it take to move the main power switch from the back of the box to the front?

(Or Apple to acknowledge that a mouse with more than one bleedin’ button is a lot more practical. Ergonomics, my ass.)

1 Like

Apple had the main power switch in the back for a long time (//e, etc.), but I remember a big honking power switch on the front of my PC at least back to the IBM AT.

Of course, the closest mains disconnect switch is still usually on the PSU, on the rear of the PC

Nope, not the AT.

Main switch as part of the power unit. Original IBMs at the side as far back as possible, clones usually at the back proper. About par on how long ones arms needed to be to reach, and how slim to wriggle past the peripherals.
Front switches on IBM PCs on most of the PS/2 systems.
Compac was pretty much the trendsetter for clones at the time, I think they started with front switches on their 386 boxes.

(Why are we even talking about this, other than misplaced nostalgia? I think I’ll switch my reminiscing from computers to the clubs and music of the day now. Ahhh, that’s better.)

1 Like

Why? Because of the scars! But you’re right, I misremembered the machine. Thought it was an -
AT or XT, but none of the images I can find match. I have a distinct memory of a big orange power switch on the front of a desktop PC, but maybe that’s the Mandela effect

ETA: oh wow! You had the answer right in your post, when I dug deeper. The “IBM XT” that we had when I was growing up may well have been a PS/2 Model 30. Orange switch, right there on the front. If memory serves it had a 286 coprocessor board, however that worked. Good times.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.