This dog has to get his jump *just* right before leaping up on that couch

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/05/14/this-dog-has-to-get-his-jump.html

8 Likes

Will SOMEBODY please move that toy out of his way so he can get a clear path? #Ifeelyadogbro

6 Likes

Reminds me of when I spent a few hours putting up a small fence around the patio to keep in our Bengal kitty. She came out, eyed it motionlessly for about ten seconds, then hopped right atop effortlessly.

16 Likes

“arrrgh it keeps hitting me in the neck. maybe if i just… nooo. hm. better scoot back another pace…”
what a cute pup.

5 Likes

Safety First!

6 Likes

I think my Roomba would have gotten up there faster.

5 Likes

When my dog was little, he got sick and had to go on prednisone for a while, which made him gain weight. He was so upset when he tried to run and jump onto the couch and didn’t make it, that he just sat there and cried until we made him some stairs.

12 Likes

Is this a good time to open up the “who’s smarter, cats or dogs?” question?

8 Likes

One of our cats has some “excess stout”, which he steadfastly refuses to believe; to the point where he won’t accommodate for it when running or jumping. He’ll run down to the end of the hall, put on the brakes with his front feet, and then the added inertia of his tummy will kick in, accordioning him face first into the wall. Or he’ll leap to the top of the cat tree, and you can see the arc of his front half gracefully touch down on the rim, while the arc of his back half runs out of steam, dragging him back to the ground.

8 Likes

Something tells me that this dog has some sort of mental health issue- OCD, perhaps. This video made me sad.

8 Likes

I was thinking the same thing. Something doesn’t seem quite right.

5 Likes

Yeah this is charming yet sad. My bet is that dog is a senior and the bounding and leaping skill has declined, and pehaps even the abillity to unfold completely due to hip issues, so the frontal assault is too challenging.

At least that’s why my dog is reluctant to try to jump up on the sofa any more.

9 Likes

Yeah, his face is a bit whiteish, which is commonly a sign of an older dog, and if you watch him going back and forth, his back leg isn’t quite moving right, so he’s probably got some arthritis going on there too.

11 Likes

Aw, poor old boy. Looks like he might be battling uncertainty from some back leg pain or hip dysplasia (common in dogs). Same signs from our aging choco lab.

7 Likes

If anyone wants to study the behavior of elderly dogs and also get a sad happy feeling from knowing such a place exists, you can watch the streaming cam from Old Friends Senior Dog Sanctuary in Tennessee

7 Likes

When my elderly cat couldn’t do it anymore, I put a step beside the bed and the couch. Give the pup some help.

9 Likes

Yeah, i was thinking that puppy needs some steps or a little ramp, if he’s got some joint issues their owner should think about making it easier for the doggo to get on their favorite couch.

4 Likes

I was thinking that perhaps the dog had arthritis. It can be a thing in dogs. It certainly couldn’t run very well.

3 Likes

My sisters little dog does this when she comes in from the garage. She is getting a tad old and has lost her girlish figure. But when she makes the leap she is so proud. Her whole butt wiggles. As long as it makes her happy to run and jump we will keep her doing it.

3 Likes

Evel Knievel did a lot of this

1 Like