This electromagnetic light might be the coolest home or office light you'll ever own

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/07/24/this-electromagnetic-light-mig.html

Arent all lights electromagnetic? Roughly in the 300nm - 750nm range?

20 Likes

I’d buy the model with an electric arc between the two magnets.

And wear sunscreen.

6 Likes

So when it’s off, does the lower ball just flop down on the tabletop? That doesn’t seem attractive.

10 Likes

I’d be very interested in seeing a non-electromagnetic light.

13 Likes

Yes, the awkward flaccidity of the off position seems like bad design to me.

9 Likes

That’s what she said.

14 Likes

Non-electromagnetic light is made of artisanally sourced woo. Since it is not made of photons or other physical substances it avoids the reality-related problems that come along with electromagnetic light usage - so it’s perfect for illuminating auras and other supernatural phenomena. It is gluten-free, hypoallergenic and safe for use with crystals and ley lines. A reusable pack of 12 is on sale now, just $132.79 at the Boing Boing store.

10 Likes

Wait, minor point of pedantry - so is the switch actually using an electromagnet to function (or is there a hall effect switch in there) - or is it electromagnetic in the sense that the lamp uses both electricity and magnets in the same assembly? If there’s a powered electromagnet doing any appreciable work then it would be a very silly use of energy for a light source.

4 Likes

Electromagnets. How do they work?

4 Likes

The flip side is the striking turgidity when the unit is turned on.

5 Likes

Oil lamps, candles, klieg lights, LEDs, and bonfires are all electromagnetic lights, since “the electromagnetic spectrum” is just another way of saying “light”. It’s all photons.

What the Boing Boing store is writing about is not at all clear. I suspect they thought “electromagnetic” sounded sciency.

3 Likes

Sure, post was mainly referring to the floaty things that are apparently related to the on/off function - one could imagine using an energized coil in the upper sphere to electro-magnetically attract the lower sphere, that would require a pretty large of amount of power though when a permanent magnet (not electro) would do the job just as well - and is I’m guessing that’s what’s actually occurring.

eta

Further dissecting the operating principles here - then what is the switching mechanism? is it a mechanical pull-switch that is relaxed with the absence of the magnetic pull? is it a Hall sensor that shuts down in the absence of a field? So many questions!

3 Likes

:slight_smile: You’re right - lots of questions, no actual answers. I suspect the person who wrote the ad has no idea how the lamp switch works. Or what light is, or if that peculiar odor is coming from their elbow or from somewhere else.

4 Likes

What a repulsive pun.

5 Likes

I actually have one of these. It is just a mechanical pull switch - you can also switch it on just by hanging the lower ball off the edge of the table. Definitely not as cool as it looks, but still kind of neat. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

“Hey, just what you can see, pal!”

2 Likes

Electromagnetic? Whatever will they think of next?

2 Likes

I’m intrigued as well, but I cannot conceive of any way for that to be even remotely healthy ^^’.

1 Like

“Nice tan, Bob!”

2 Likes