This fellow is the fastest clapper in the world

Originally published at: This fellow is the fastest clapper in the world | Boing Boing

1 Like

Clappr is my new social network that I’m founding to replace Twitter. You can’t post on it, all you can do is like my posts (we call likes Claps)

ETA: this guy would be a great spokesperson, but I already hired Jordan Klepper since I thought that would be “Elon funny”

5 Likes

Isn’t that just Medium?

5 Likes

Clap Reaction GIF

7 Likes

He’s got me beat, hands down.

3 Likes

Steve Reich is already writing a Gabber update.

clap on, clap off

David: strobe light

2 Likes

He should become the new spokesperson for The Clapper…. Clap on. Clap off. The Clapper.

No kidding. He puts the previous guy to shame:

1 Like

I bet he’s really annoying at concerts.

1 Like

The Friends tune could be over so quickly.

2 Likes

As a performer, I say, he’s embarrassing y’all so get practicing. :wink:

Now I really wanna hear a crowd of a couple thousand all doing this style of clapping at once.

video for the bbs

2 Likes

Yeah, I’m gonna be Donny Downer here. Yes, it is a fine achievement on his part, but…

I contend that ‘wrist clapping’ is not proper clapping.

Proper clapping is where the hands are brought together and apart at a velocity sufficient to make a sound. Bringing apart = an actual air gap. No contact is made at the wrists.

He’s using wrist-to-hand, not hand-to-hand as his method.

And I am not entirely convinced there is an actual gap, between every clap, between whichever parts of his limbs he is using to make the sound. Viewing at quarter speed suggests a small gap sometimes, but not at all times. But video speed and resolution may not show very small gaps, I’ll concede. But there seems to be some element of ongoing contact between the two limbs for leverage to maximise speed.

All of which is a preamble to wondering what the max speed of ‘proper’ hand-to-hand clapping is, where the limbs do not appear to be resting on each other for leverage to enable speed.

Peter Pan: “If you believe, wherever you are, clap your hands, and she’ll hear you. Clap! Clap! Don’t let Tinker Bell die! Clap!”

Dalton Meyer: “Stand back, I’ve got this”

3 Likes

Hi! I made an account just to reply to this.
Wrist clapping is the method of using the wrist and fingers hitting the palm to make 2 claps. There is a gap, and the slow motion video is on YouTube if you want to watch. I can’t post links, but if you go on “TemeMemple” on YouTube, you will see the video.

5 Likes

I’m always here though, maybe both would be funny :wink:

3 Likes

Thanks for the information.

But two claps per hit? Even more so not ‘proper’ clapping.

World record for ‘hitting body parts together to make a sound’ perhaps, but not ‘clapping’ as I recognise it.

And, welcome to the BBS! :wink:

ETA - I realise now, this is you! So congrats on your record and the achievement of speed - but I still stand by what I say - ‘not proper clapping’. But GWOR has all sorts of things it classifies as ‘things there can be a record for’ that are not really common things. I guess it’s all about finding their precise definitions and boundaries and going for the win. Well done! :wink:

1 Like

Hi! Thanks for the welcome!
I understand the criticism, and I was the same way when I first found out about “wrist clapping”.
If it makes you feel any better, I can also clap very fast the old way, where you just hit your fingers against the palm, instead of both the wrist and the fingers.

However, according to Guinness, a “clap” is defined as someone hitting their fingers or wrist/palm against the other palm. This is exactly what I do.

When I clap, I hit my wrist against my palm, and then right after, I hit my fingers against my palm as well. Think of it this way: when you clap, you hit your fingers into your palm, but you technically are also hitting your palm into your fingers. Wrist clapping is that, but really fast, and in not in the fashion as “normal clapping”.

7 Likes

Well, that’s where they’re going wrong, obviously. /s :wink:

:clap:
Welcome! it’s not often we get someone featured in the article turning up on the BBS.

3 Likes