This guy really knows how to kill yellowjackets

Just to be that guy…

Test is unfair. Amount of, and type of, bait differs. Especially amount; there’s 3 goodly-size chicken bits, and I think I see bacon. And available surface area (full & massive for the simple device, whereas access on the store-bought ones are is restricted by small holes. And colour differences. And…

Don’t get me wrong. I love simple solutions and will be recommending this to my favorite chip-truck. They have four store-bought ones and still have a wasp problem.

Also, TIL wasps eat meat…

2 Likes

The nest is in some exposed insulation under my laundry room. I have some wasp-killer spray, will use that when it stops raining.

1 Like

Oh, its tough watching that guy drag his fingers through the pile of wasps and pick up pinches of them.

1 Like

Schmidt’s tasting notes say:

hot and smoky, almost irreverent. Imagine W. C. Fields extinguishing a cigar on your tongue.

3 Likes

I believe those are crisis actor mice that are brought in from more liberal parts of the country

14 Likes

Or, the test shows that it’s better to have more available surface area and ability to hold more bait.

1 Like

It’s not serious until someone starts melting down aluminum cans.

4 Likes

There’s always a bigger arsehole … HORNETS!

3 Likes

Take care. Those domestic sprays can take a while to work, can’t attack the whole nest and its inhabitants all at once, and angry wasps get angrier when threatened. If you can afford it, indoor wasps nests may be better handled by a pro. (Round here that is not overly expensive. YMMV - then again YMMV on what sort of poison you’re allowed to buy domestically where you live - what do I know?)

Works pretty well for fire ant population reduction, and you get a groovy statue out of it!

6 Likes

The boiling water (or my personal favorite, half a cup of kerosene, poured down the hole just after dark, then lit) mainly works for nests in the ground. If it’s in a building, I second the idea of having a pro excise it.

If you’re lucky, once you kill off the nest in the ground, a trash panda will dig up the remains and eat the leftovers. MMMmmm, BBQ.

3 Likes

13 Likes

Yeah, the bacon was definitely cheating.

Also it is not a bee.

There’s seriously nothing to a fruit fly trap. Any small glass jar or bowl, a half-inch of apple cider vinegar, and a drop of dish soap. Put it near the highest concentration of flies, refill it every couple of days, your flies will be gone in less than a week.

2 Likes

My Dad raised honeybees and those seemed to keep the Yellow Jackets from establishing nests nearby. Everywhere else my town was thick with Yellow Jackets and Bald-faced Hornets.

2 Likes

Here’s a how-to. This is exactly what I do, although I use a smaller canning jar.

2 Likes

Ten hours later, my hot dog trap has caught exactly one fly and one yellow jacket. They must not like processed meat. I think I’ve had some luck with the spray, will continue to dose the entrance as long as I see any yellow jackets.

My fruit fly trap is just water, cider vinegar, and soap in a saucer. Keep it close to the garden produce on the counter, and it works well.

3 Likes

As i understand it, bees, which are herbivores, evolved from wasps, which are carnivores.

1 Like

While we’re enjoying our communal hatred for hornets, it’s worth knowing that hornets and some other wasps make nests, but then there are “solitary” wasps that don’t build nests, but basically act on their own as insect serial killers. They include such beautiful creatures as this

https://nature.mdc.mo.gov/discover-nature/field-guide/great-black-wasp

And this

And this

https://nature.mdc.mo.gov/discover-nature/field-guide/great-golden-digger-wasp

And all of them have insect capture/consumption habits that are nightmare fuel, but really help explain what the sting does for them aside from defense.

3 Likes