This guy walks around Tokyo with a GoPro strapped on

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/11/11/this-guy-walks-around-tokyo-wi.html

14 Likes

Um, excuse me, a GoPro strap-on?

10 Likes

I have watched some of his videos the past few weeks. In most of those videos the GoPro is strapped to his bike.

5 Likes

4 Likes

If you like Nippon Wandering TV I cannot recommend enough Rambalac’s channel for similar. Rambalac often goes to lesser-known areas of interest, plus he always stops to pet cats and always puts coins in at temples!

18 Likes

Thank you!

8 Likes

A big YES to this. I’ve been following his stuff for the last few years. Perfect for when I need a fix of Japan, but can’t afford a plane ticket.

3 Likes

Wow, I just watched his firework walk and saw the most amazing firework:

It’s like they have LED pattern effects in the fireworks!

7 Likes

This is much better than Google StreetView.

2 Likes

This seems like a natural evolution of Google Maps: 4K walk-throughs / drive-throughs.

4 Likes

I wish he didn’t do so many dead-end turnarounds. At 7:30 he has 2 perfectly good directions to continue but spins and doubles back. (Yeah I know, first-world Monday morning armchair quarterbacking)

Also, why is there such severe bowing going on in the distance at 15:00 ? Please speculate.

Looks like some junior employees bundling their boss into a car and sending him (almost certainly a him) off after a work dinner or at the end of a night of obligatory work drinking.

5 Likes

What ever happened to the guy who started this? He was basically livestreaming his life only turning off the camera when he was going to the bathroom or sleeping. IIRC he was in California and had the camera on his hat mostly. There was a live chat feature as well. I’m thinking maybe some time around 2008 or so.

Around 22:00, the audio cuts out and a subtitle explains there’s a “copyrighted sound in the background”. As in, I guess, he walked past a bar that was blasting Beyonce or something and had to cut it out so YouTube’s bullshit copyright filters didn’t take down the whole video? I wonder if he was just being overly cautious or (far more likely I suspect) he’s been bitten by this in the past? Ridiculous, in any case.

4 Likes

And I was thinking the Magic Kingdom box shaped fireworks were nifty. Wow.

You can see his shadow at 6:36, which looks like GoPro on a handheld gimbal.

I really like this use of both HD, virtual travel, wayfinding, and GoPro cameras. I just wish YouTube had more variable speed control, I love watching scenic videos at higher speed, giving a bit more of a supernatural experience, and YouTube advanced settings can only go to 2x speed.

As a test, I downloaded this video, and sped it up 4x, and then added my own soundtrack overtop. I think it’s amazing, and I hope YouTube will add faster playback in the future.

2 Likes

Post on YouTube and link for us, plz?

1 Like

Ok, here’s my ‘unlisted video’, just for fun.

It no longer has the high frame rate and is just 720p, but you get the idea.

4 Likes

Ha, thanks, that really is a different experience!

1 Like