This high-tech suicide pod offers a quick, painless death and a built-in casket

I fully support legal euthanasia but at the same time I have been hearing about Philip Nitschke and his schemes for way too long. Why not put some effort into making life worth living? Death seems to be Nitschke’s answer to everything (except his own issues of course).

2 Likes

I think I’ll get two.

2 Likes

“Hey, buddy, can you spare me 25c in change?”

@curlz813, I thought it was a reference to the pod being sarcosy to nod off in.

@hecep iPod

@FGD135 “Assisted Suicide while you wait!”

@GulliverFoyle “The Saab Valkyrie; the safer way to die.”

Do it right the first time of risk living out your days with irreversible brain damage.

We had to read The Lotus Eater for English Literature; what a depressing little tale.

3 Likes

As Phil says; they lack conviction. And if you do - the method doesn’t matter. Give it another think.

Really though, a shotgun tucked up under your chin seems less prone to error than just buying a handgun and pointing it somewhere at your melon.

I’m not the self-checkout sort, but if I were, I think I’d prefer the Kiwi method…

3 Likes

Yeah, wouldn’t want to die stupidly.

3 Likes

I love that song :wink:

Been a while since I’ve seen it posted it here.

1 Like
4 Likes

This applies to nearly every method of suicide. Suicides don’t go well.

I’m sure there are plenty of Americans who hear this, look at their congress, and wonder if it’s really such a bad idea.

2 Likes

Groan…

Welding nitrogen may have an added agent like natural gas has that will make your trip less pleasant. It’s at least not medical grade. Wonder if you have to answer the right questions at the scuba store.

Came here for that.

1 Like

Damn, you know shit is bad when products like this are actually a thing, and the commentors are calmly discussing the most effective ways to kill oneself without fucking it up.

O_o

5 Likes

The way I see it, the suicide pod represents the culmination of a shift in cultural attitudes towards death and dying as well as a rapid, public compilation (catalyzed by the internet) of methodology.

2 Likes

Maybe, but the product is allegedly controversial.

Personally, I see it as ‘late stage capitalism,’ taken to its inevitable conclusion.

2 Likes

Nitschke has been a controversial figure for a while. Being familiar with his mission for several years now, I’m not surprised he’s taken his obsession with suicide methods into the 21st century by proclaiming the dawn of what amounts to a 3D-printed suicide booth.

Heck, he’s controversial within the right-to-die movement:

2 Likes

That Rick, spreading lies about those nasty liberal Dutch. :joy:

Truth is, the current discussion in the Netherlands shifted from whether or not we should allow euthanasia on sick and suffering people, to extending it also to people who feel they completed their life (voltooid leven). They feel they did everything they wanted to do in life and want to end it on their own terms.

I can never see myself making that choice. But I also don’t understand the urge to forbid people from doing this. Forcing someone to live against their own will is really weird and can be incredibly cruel.

What else is the base reusable for? If it doesn’t have alternate uses (like domestic or industrial) then it seems like a gimmick to sell more death pods. Infinite reuse to insure human obsolescence? Kinda like a pyramid scheme and not a moneymaker in the long run. More like something self driving IA would come up with to make the roads safe for cars.

I agree, but with some caveats. The right to assisted suicide is something I support, and I actually think society pushes quantity of life at the expense of quality of life, with a lot of suffering not because of a desire to live, but because the only other choice is to do something that most of society deems shameful and survivors are likely to resent. And I say that as someone who believes death is the end of existence and life all that we get. But at the same time, I advocate professional medical and mental health care oversight, and for there to be a process that takes sufficient effort that it leaves people with time to reconsider. A profit-driven method of making it this easy is a bit nauseating.

5 Likes

A welder friend of mine pointed out something to me. He’s like, you know how you have always heard there is other things added to gases so you won’t breathe them? Think about that, because that just means you are adding impurities to your weld. Which for something like oxygen I can understand, but it’s not like they are adding hydrogen sulfide to a C02/Argon mix. I’m sure it is not odorless like medical grade, but I doubt it smells like rotten eggs either.

Makes sense. My father had a welding shop when I was in high school. Worst summer job ever. Using welding equipment for suicide seems fitting because the equipment is actively trying to kill you anyway.