This incredible roller disco scene from CHiPs features a cavalcade of 1970s TV stars

Originally published at: This incredible roller disco scene from CHiPs features a cavalcade of 1970s TV stars | Boing Boing

4 Likes

“Tonight, you can boogie with Jo Anne Worley.”

8 Likes

Who doesn’t picture Dan Haggerty when discussing Roller Disco?

11 Likes

Look for Tina Louise, Dick Van Patten, Todd Bridges, Cindy Williams, Ruth Buzzi, Dana Plato, and on and on!

Bret Sommers, whose main claim to fame was being a panelist on “Match Game”, brings it to peak '70s celebrity.

8 Likes

At the very end there was the Unknown Comedian. How much more 1970s could this be?

11 Likes

Maybe more 70’s-ish if they showed the long tables with the lines of cocaine that you could snort as you skated by.

9 Likes

It helps when you’re married to Jack Klugman. Still, most of her unsung fame was from the stage.

Related: It’s interesting that Xanadu was in production around this same time. Disco was still clinging on even into 1980.

7 Likes

Hey, it makes me happy to just THINK about Ruth Buzzi, who is currently telling corny jokes on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/Ruth_A_Buzzi

14 Likes

You should suggest a FPP on her Twitter feed, which is truly a Wonderful Thing.

2 Likes

I would, if I knew what an FPP was and how to recommend it.

6 Likes

Front page post. You can probably drop a DM to your favourite Happy Mutant.

1 Like

the roller disco episodes have always been, hands-down, my favorite episodes of CHiPs. somehow i thought it was just one long episode – i had forgotten it was a two-parter. i love that they are doing the Soul Train style line in that clip.

wasn’t this the same episode where the little kid stole something and in order to escape he hitched onto the back bumper of some old lady’s station wagon, and Ponch & John had to go rescue him when the lady pulled onto the highway with him in tow?

and also, i think this is the one where some hip lady was also stealing from people, and for her getaways she had skates where the wheels popped out of the heels of her thick 70s clogs. i swear like the week this aired, some girl in our class showed up at school with those same shoes, and we thought she was the coolest person in the school.

EDIT: in reading the plot, i think this IS all in the same episode – part 1, even. and what isn’t even mentioned in the original post is that this episode also includes (of course!) Leif Garrett!

https://chips-tv.com/wiki/Roller_Disco

10 Likes

If that is the content of the two-parter, I’m going to find it and watch the hell out of it. The only think that could make it better is if the roller-skate bandit turns out to be the old lady driving the car with the kid on the back.

5 Likes

You’ve got stars from shows from all three networks helping NBC out. I mean, I know this was all over the place at the time – Love Boat, etc. – but you just don’t see folks from the Big Bang Theory showing up on Friends (I know they didn’t overlap). It’s a sort of implied detente from the contentious Battle of the Network Stars era.

3 Likes

i need to find it myself and rewatch, too. i could be mis-remembering from other skating-related episodes (if there are any!), but i’m sure those two things were at least one episode of CHiPs. the roller skating bandit was, of course, some very pretty, hip, southern california woman.

2 Likes

This is what I liked from movies past. Lots of old movies with ensemble casts.

The Great Escape, It’s A Mad Mad Mad World, Dirty Dozen, Airport, Big Chill etc…

3 Likes

I was doing some kind of hang-for-time exercise at my gym and I made a reference to Gene Hackman in The Poseidon Adventure – no one had any earthly idea what I was talking about.

5 Likes

Wonder if this is the same one where Ponch and John help deliver a baby at a roller disco.

1 Like

Right? Haven’t heard that name is years. He was just sitting there, probably whittling a stick.

2 Likes

I checked the cast list just to see if Lynda Carter was there.

4 Likes