This interactive web graphic may cost Mitt Romney all future presidential hopes

If you’re interested in the actual layout of his home, be sure to look before you enter your own home’s square footage. Because once you do, his home becomes a mere microscopic speck within the grandeur of yours.

Sincerely,
Hollingsworth Hound

4 Likes

Not to mention the dancing horse!

Will we see this about rich Democrats?

Never confuse those two things with “more confident and privileged than I am.”

2 Likes

I hope so, at least for the ones which advocate tax policies that further benefit the rich at the expense of the poor.

12 Likes

You mean the ones that complain that they are being taxed too much, or the ones - as noted here - say they should be taxed more?

For Romney equity, it would have to be the ones that complain about taxes keeping them in (a) poor house(s).

1 Like

Funny, because the calculator stops working if you go over 30,000sq/ft. “We adjusted your measurement to conform with reality.”

3 Likes

Here you go:
http://www.zillow.com/howto/FamousPresidentsHomes.htm

Their latest is 7,000 sf, which, when you add their DC residence, is slightly over the square footage of this one house. And also, it’s the NY Post, so take that into account.

1 Like

Barbara already tried:
http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2013/04/25/barbara-bush-on-jeb-in-2016-weve-had-enough-bushes/

3 Likes

If Mitt Romney’s not running, maybe we can get Hugh Romney (aka Wavy Gravy) to run again.
“Nobody for President! Nobody’s going to lower taxes! Nobody’s going to end the war! Vote for Nobody! It’s time to put a REAL clown in the White House!”

2 Likes

Beachfront lots are usually shockingly small, and oriented in a long rectangle with the smaller side toward the water. That lets them stuff as many lots along the beach as possible. So you get some really odd configurations of houses there. I worked in real estate in the Santa Barbara area for awhile; I got used to the weird shapes of beach houses.

Yeah, my house is a split-level, and pretty rectangular. The square actually makes it look bigger in proportion than it is, because we’re comparing two floors to the middle of the graphic, which is itself already split into different floors.

If I compare one floor of my house to one of his, I think I might fit it in one of the larger rooms. It looks bigger than that as one square.

Welcome to the reality of living in a plutocratic oligarchy. We have a ruling class of oligarches, and they just pass the throne back and forth between the different oligarches every decade or so…

1 Like

This type of square footage makes me believe they own a lot or three instead.

Nah, it’s only 0.4 acres or something. But I think they’re claiming more of the beach as their property.

1 Like

Er, yes, but as I understand it, Mormons are required to stockpile at least 3 months (preferably a years) worth of food, cash, and supplies in case of an emergency, and put a lot of emphasis on family- So having the space to gather the entire clan together seems consistent with their values: Partly for emergencies, and largely for big family holidays.

Just saying. I really don’t want to be defending Romney.

[quote=“quorihunter, post:5, topic:51027”]
There is absolutely nothing wrong with someone of means buying what they can afford.[/quote]

I would argue that, beyond a certain a point, there is. If you earn more than you deserve, locking that wealth away in frivolous luxuries is akin to hording food in an emergency — you’re withholding resources that others need to survive.

2 Likes

I like this metaphor, but how you do draw the line for ‘earning more than you deserve’? Who is to say that Romney doesn’t deserve the money simply because he chooses to spend it on himself?

Personally, my yardstick for this rests at where they spend it. Although Gates, for example, has a lot of money in assets and investments, his charitable contributions to me almost ‘earn’ him the right to spend the remaining cash on himself.

But then what do we say for creators, like musicians, who provide a significant benefit to the community through their production but may not choose to spend their excess wealth on charity?

Ideally, we would live in a culture where people would earn prestige by what they contribute to society, not what they keep for themselves. Realistically, I’m not opposed to a personal income cap. Is there really any reason anyone, of any profession, should earn more than, say, $1 million a year? We know that, beyond a certain income level, money is not what motivates people to work hard.

3 Likes

Fuck me, now we have to be polite about asking for less nepotism?

2 Likes