"This is a thing that’s been around for a great many years," says the Secretary of the Air Force about UFOs

Originally published at: "This is a thing that's been around for a great many years," says the Secretary of the Air Force about UFOs | Boing Boing

5 Likes

What we should really be studying is not the UFOs themselves, but their advanced anti-HD camera technology. Despite so many people on earth having HD, or even 4K, cameras in their pockets, somehow every photo or video of a UFO is blurry and low resolution as all heck. How do they do it? And how does bigfoot, who doesn’t even have clothes, have access to the same technology? I sure wish I had access to that. Would be great for avoiding all kinds of surveillance.

25 Likes

I’m a bit too skeptical about all this. I’m deep in a self-made conspiracy theory that this is all a government ruse designed to create the “next enemy” we can spend endless amounts of money to “defend against.” Military industrial complex for the win.

On the other hand, I work for a place that would get to do the research on these new ways of finding/tracking/stopping them, which is kind of cool. Although not as cool as D.A.R.T. will be. Or Dragonfly.

4 Likes

Nudists are perfectly capable of using advanced technology!

4 Likes

2 Likes

All of this footage from the military merely shows camera artifacts from the aperture. ALL OF THEM. Any competent photographer or cinematographer would spot this.

So, why all the fuss if the military knows, presumably, it’s not aerial phenomena? Or, are they really this fabulously stupid?

8 Likes

I remember when BoingBoing readers recently identified a new sighting as a mylar balloon in, like, two hours. I don’t understand why there isn’t a debunking site that presents each historical UFO sighting and an open forum to solve it since each assuredly has an explicable terrestrial origin or cause.

The only reason I can think of for the government holding back is that, if 100% of sightings are debunked, it’ll pretty conclusively wipe out the hopes of finding other life out there or vice versa. If potentially infinite advanced life isn’t finding us, how can our unadvanced tech possibly do better?

Driving that point home might draw attention to the fact that we can’t escape Earth and funding might shift away from fossil fuels and military directives. Either that or everyone will get super depressed and fearful.

1 Like

I want aliens to show up in an epic fashion so badly, but alas, these grifters just keep getting my hopes up.

1 Like

No wonder they look blurry every time they appear on the news.

6 Likes

I try to take pictures of stuff in the river behind my house, and they always turn out like this:

The camera taking the picture is (depending on settings) 12mp or 16mp.

Distance makes blurry messes of things way more than you would think. I bought a spotting scope with a smart phone mount to help with the picture taking, but it is hard to get objects in the field of view and also keep it steady (even with tripod). It’s a work in progress.

3 Likes

The interesting thing about photos of UFOs, Bigfoot etc. is that the subjects in question always seem to be at whatever distance is just beyond the ability of the camera in question to get a clear picture.

If there was anything to (for example) Bigfoot then one would expect to see ever more and ever clearer photos of the guy as camera technology improves and proliferates.

1 Like

pretty sure it’s a goose, but glad people are having fun talking about it so much

1 Like

Obligatory XKCD:

5 Likes

Ask, and ye shall receive:

3 Likes

This is a point I keep coming back to. No matter how good our imaging technology becomes, “UFOs” (sorry, “UAPs”, gotta keep up with the branding) are ALWAYS and without exception at the limits of the capabilities of the imaging system. Why, it’s almost as if anything that we’re able to sufficiently resolve always turns out to have a prosaic explanation.

2 Likes

I feel safer knowing that they’re on the job.

2 Likes

Is there a “UFO Discussion Bingo Card” yet? Maybe @wazroth could put one together.

5 Likes

Mick West runs a very valuable resource. His policies of one-claim-per-thread and politeness are a model for others to emulate.

1 Like

Unfortunately I don’t have the same sort of intimate knowledge of UFOlogy that I do with the 11’8" bridge. Maybe I’ll have to start paying attention, though…

2 Likes

anybody have seen this debunking video by the guys of Corridor crew?
https://youtu.be/jHDlfIaBEqw