This Is Fine

Yes, it is at the edge of the scatter-plot. Or whatever data viz is being used here.

Amazingly (in a bad way), lots of climate breakdown events are happening “sooner than we thought” and sooner than models have led us to believe. So yeah I am tracking these edge cases and Black Swan events because dammit they suck when they do happen and they seem (ok ok confirmation bias here maybe) to be escalating in frequency and duration.

Agreed.

The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) says a full AMOC collapse is unlikely in the current century, based on climate modelling.

In their new study, siblings Peter and Susanne Ditlevsen, both at the University of Copenhagen, Denmark, used sea surface temperature data from the sub-polar North Atlantic – which dates back to 1870 – as a proxy for the stability of the AMOC.

Btw, 10 points awarded for Atlantic Meridional Overturning Circulation getting the acronym AMOC (which is soooo close to AMOK…). O the gods do love irony.

Need something to nerd out to, fundamentally? Here’s the IPCC report:
https://www.ipcc.ch/srocc/chapter/chapter-6/

I’ll download the PDF of it for later. It certainly looks thorough, at my first glimpse 'n gallop.

@chgoliz
A simplified fact-based explainer by reputable humans, and not crafted by twitchy hyped up doomer-preppers, here:

A more general overview re ocean currents (not just the Gulf Stream)… a TEDx so it can’t be entirely fact-free:

ETA:
typo

11 Likes