This Is Fine

Huh, who knew “I’ll stop the world and melt with you” was a prediction?

8 Likes

No… no… no… Seismological evidence for differential rotation of the Earth's inner core | Nature

The core hasn’t “stopped”. That would require immense, catastrophic, amounts of energy. The 1 degree/year relative rotation, ever so slightly faster than the outer core, has changed.

16 Likes

There is certainly a lot of inner vs outer mumbo jumbo in this piece I posted.

5 Likes

My understanding was that it can stop as a side effect of a tectonic weapon, and then to restart it you need to drill down and plant a series of nukes with just the right timing. Unfortunately that’s extremely dangerous and probably only Aaron Eckhart and Hillary Swank can make it back.

14 Likes
9 Likes

Modern English had been a hardcore punk band :frowning:

2 Likes
11 Likes

Obligs:

You just know I had to. Really I did. :grin:

11 Likes
14 Likes

Hopefully, more vertical farming would eliminate the “washing away” part of this problem. :thinking:

9 Likes

There’s something morbidly absurd seeing the headline that it’s 90 seconds to doomsday, with the note that the article has a 4 minute read time.

21 Likes

They don’t really expect you to read all the way through to the end.

6 Likes

Atomic Prayer, Cornelius Eady
If the bomb drops
And I’m riding the
Staten Island Ferry,
Give me time to spit in the water.
If the bomb drops
And I’m on top
Of the Empire State Building,
Give me time To toss a penny
Off the observation deck.
If the bomb drops
And I’m walking down Fifth Avenue
Grant me a loose brick,
A fresh plate-glass window,
Grant us a moment
When there’ll be no need
To play it safe.
Give to us the pleasure
Of misdemeanors.
Let each of us do
What we’ve always
Dreamed of,
But were too polite
To act out.
Let us extract
Our brief revenge,
Spilling and ripping things
We’ve been taught
Not to handle.
If we’re to die before we sleep,
Grant us a moment to uncover
The secrets behind the door marked Restricted,
Authorize us to touch what was always held
just beyond our reach.
Give us a taste
Of the stolen world.

10 Likes

23 Likes

23 Likes

In addition to toilet paper pulp, [4-nonylphenol] is also used in soap, detergents and textile processing and is listed as a toxic substance in Canada.
The chemical accounted for 46 per cent of the total pollutants identified in the whales.

10 Likes

Oh, they apologized? Never mind.

13 Likes

Rio Tinto is a benevolent and kindly multinational mining company.

So, when they apologize for their destruction and mayhem, that makes it all OK.

They’re very very sorry for all the money they made.

11 Likes
8 Likes

(gift article)

Through its savvy but legal exploitation of the U.S. patent system, Humira’s manufacturer, AbbVie, blocked competitors from entering the market. For the next six years, the drug’s price kept rising. Today, Humira is the most lucrative franchise in pharmaceutical history.

Next week, the curtain is expected to come down on a monopoly that has generated $114 billion in revenue for AbbVie just since the end of 2016. The knockoff drug that regulators authorized more than six years ago, Amgen’s Amjevita, will come to market in the United States, and as many as nine more Humira competitors will follow this year from pharmaceutical giants including Pfizer. Prices are likely to tumble.

The reason that it has taken so long to get to this point is a case study in how drug companies artificially prop up prices on their best-selling drugs.

Oh don’t worry about AbbVie:

Even now, as AbbVie prepares for competitors to erode its Humira sales in the United States, the company will have a new way to make more money from the drug. Under the terms of the legal settlements it reached with rival manufacturers from 2017 to 2022, AbbVie will earn royalties from the knockoff products that it delayed.

The exact sizes of the royalties are confidential, but analysts have estimated that they could be 10 percent of net sales. That could translate to tens of millions of dollars annually for AbbVie.

9 Likes