This Is Fine

Skynet is a real thing since the 1960s, that James Cameron happened to refer to in a movie script

… apparently people think he made it up

14 Likes

Weighing Options GIF

11 Likes
16 Likes

Protect the children!

:film_projector:

14 Likes

I think the overarching danger here is that it joins other recent cases where small town justice feels like they are the final word and above the law. :frowning_face:

12 Likes

The EPA Is Finally Addressing 4 Dangerous ‘Forever Chemicals’ — Out Of Over 4,000 | FiveThirtyEight

6 Likes

What also concerns me about the coverage is the misogyny is secondary. That abuse of power when cops access supposedly private information about citizens to track, stalk, and harass women is chilling.

21 Likes

Kate Winslet GIF

10 Likes
7 Likes

How the Internet Archive faces potential destruction at the hands of Big Four publishers

On Monday four of the largest book publishers asked a New York court to grant summary judgment in a copyright lawsuit seeking to shut down the Internet Archive’s online library and hold the non-profit organization liable for damages.

The lawsuit was filed back June 1, 2020, by the Hachette Book Group, HarperCollins Publishers, John Wiley & Sons and Penguin Random House. In the complaint [PDF], the publishers ask for an injunction that orders “all unlawful copies be destroyed” in the online archive.

[…]

13 Likes

GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

The internet archive is an incredibly resource that I often use in my work…

15 Likes

Copyright law is so outdated, it wasn’t even up to last century’s needs.

Creators should be compensated for their work, but the vast majority of the rewards for creative works go to the industry and not to the creators. These are industries that grew when physical objects were needed to record and distribute content, and were difficult. Now both of those things are trivial.

We’ve seen glimpses of how the system should be structured in the music industry, television, and books. It’ time to flip the script on those industries, bring content creators and their audiences closer together, and dump the gatekeepers & middlemen.

21 Likes

… ironically, the nineteenth-century version was pretty good—it got worse during the twentieth century and is now stuck that way

13 Likes

Have we tried turning it off and turning it on again?

12 Likes
15 Likes

Season 6 What GIF by The Office

16 Likes

Colin Jost Shrug GIF by Saturday Night Live

Just like the punks said… :woman_shrugging:They were right all along…

13 Likes
15 Likes

WOOD CHIPS?

real housewives of new york city wtf GIF

13 Likes

Tired Bette Davis GIF by Maudit

7 Likes