This Is Fine

2 Likes

As someone who was long ago a forestry major, I can confirm this is factual. Wildfires are left to burn because they are a natural process that can be beneficial to the overall forest ecosystem. They can clear out undergrowth, replenish soil nutrients and eliminate disease vectors (insects). That being said, the intensity of these fires does diminish the benefits.

13 Likes

Also, some seeds won’t release and germinate without fire as the catalyst.

12 Likes

I remember a pinecone that required the temp of a forest fire to open…

5 Likes

Ponderosa pines are one of many that require high temps to germinate.

10 Likes

Just to compare with how arraignment went for someone facing fewer chargesthan Trump …

A federal judge on Thursday denied bail to Reality Leigh Winner, the 25-year-old Georgia woman accused of leaking classified information to the media, after prosecutors argued she remains a flight risk, a threat to the public and could possibly leak more government documents.

In that case, the government went through all of Winner’s writings back to high school and offered up her teenage thoughts on the Middle East as evidence she couldn’t be trusted. In this case, even the claims Trump made on the way to the courthousewere not mentioned.

:rage:
Angrily pasted from Dailykos

5 Likes

Also, as I know you know but I think should still be explicitly said, they also then need time to grow before the next fire. Conifers are usually the climax of a forest. Fires are a natural part of their cycle but that doesn’t mean they can’t destroy the ecosystem.

8 Likes
1 Like
2 Likes

:thinking:

My first thought is that the Republicans are sending benign white powder in order to try and paint the left as terrorists.

I Dont Understand Season 4 GIF by Paramount+

2 Likes

This is why I put it in “This is Fine”, because there was no accurate indication as to why.

6 Likes

This is so 2001.

9 Likes

:hot_face:

The emergence of heat and humidity too severe for human tolerance

6 Likes
7 Likes

oh no GIF

9 Likes
9 Likes

Wow, thanks for pointing me to Jessica Wildfire’s substack! Found this one, it resonated:

(I admit I have confirmation bias in seeing parts of myself in this piece.)

14 Likes

God, that’s depressing. Mostly because it’s all true. When i hear about natural immunity, i frequently invite folks to visit old cemeteries. We have lots of them around here. Look at how many young kids are buried there. Dying in childhood was normal. We have only very recently made that tragic. It was SOP for most of history. Half your kids not seeing their 5th birthday, and dying in agony before you turned 40 is what natural immunity got us. Vaccines changed that. Antibiotics changed that. Now we are rejecting these wholesale, because there is a death cult in power. I hate this timeline.

12 Likes

Yeah… the stupid is winning and I hate it.

15 Likes