This Is Fine

Better future shocks:

https://www.2000ad.org/?zone=thrill&page=profiles&choice=future&Comic=2000AD

1 Like

I think I’ll take the Terminators.

4 Likes

QAA Podcast Med Beds & Skye Prince (E274)

We discuss the shift in the podcast’s cover art, theme song and name. Then we explore miracle cure-all 5D “med beds” and delve into the online community around “Skye Prince”, a multi-faceted grifter at the nexus of QAnon, UFO disclosure, prosperity gospel and new age pseudo-medicine.

… that is a lot :exploding_head:

3 Likes
5 Likes

https://archive.is/GmI6Z

7 Likes
9 Likes

Oh FFS which is it, BilliionairePaperOwnerGuy?
Is the economy in the toilet?
or is the economy so frisky that it’s metastasized?
Fer Pete’s sake, pick one narrative and–

–oh.

6 Likes

Arkansas has “right to mine” law, and here’s a report on the impact:

6 Likes
8 Likes

… this link works better for me

6 Likes
9 Likes

Turns out, if ya cut down all those trees for an inhumane reason, you can an inhuman climate.

Huh.

Who’da thunk it?

Grant Park is a majority Latino community in south Phoenix situated next to a sprawling electrical substation – a hot and dusty neighborhood with ​​200 or so homes, but no stores and plenty of empty lots and boarded-up houses. It was once a thriving neighborhood – one of the few places where people of color could live due to discriminatory housing policies that lasted most of the 20th century.

Redlined neighborhoods like Grant Park still have higher pollution levels, less vegetation, more noise pollution and higher temperatures. In recent years, the local outdoor pool was shuttered and scores of trees cut down by a previous administration to prevent homeless people from gathering in the shade.

“This is one of the hottest parts of the city because the people here don’t have political power,” said Leo Hernandez, 78, the master gardener at the thriving community garden where he created a butterfly sanctuary for migrating monarchs. “We need shade, but trees also suck up carbon dioxide, create places to socialize and healthier, happier neighborhoods.”

Good to hear they are planting trees in Phoenix, Arizona.

But.

They are missing part of the Major Teaching Moment here.

The city is mostly concerned with reducing the urban heat island effect and improving public health, and its 2010 shade masterplan set out a goal of achieving 25% citywide canopy cover by 2030. Amid little progress and rising heat mortality and morbidity, in 2021 Phoenix established the country’s first office of heat response and mitigation. Its community tree planting program is now being rolled out to public schools, churches and homes in qualifying census tracts – low-income neighborhoods with little shade.

Residents can choose from a list of 19 native and desert-adapted trees including the Texas olive, Chinese red pistache and Chilean mesquites. The trees, which are a couple of years old and pretty heavy, are planted by contracted arborists. For insurance reasons, they must be within the property – not the sidewalk – and not too close to walls or power lines. Each household also gets a tree kit – a 100ft hose, irrigation timer and instrument to measure the soil pH and moisture, as well as written care instructions.

Really? Really, Phoenix?
I saw the planted-out trees installed by contractors.
:woman_facepalming:

With this fabulous, well-proven far more sensible example just over in Tucson, barely 2 hours south of Phoenix?

:woman_shrugging:

10 Likes
6 Likes
7 Likes

Some smart meters won’t be smart at all once 2/3G networks mothballed

10 Likes

Damn.

12 Likes

Why are journalists trying so hard to put people in danger?
(rhetorical)

14 Likes

Holy shirtballs! While some are pretty generic for NYC, some are way too specific. Not cool.

8 Likes
7 Likes