This is the fastest and easiest way to cut a bell pepper

Originally published at: This is the fastest and easiest way to cut a bell pepper | Boing Boing

6 Likes

Nope. Cut off the top or bottom. Set it down on that nice flat surface. Cut the sides off. Done. Much easier. Taught to me by a very nice woman who is a great chef.

3 Likes

bottom and top wastage! top and bottom wastage! (“Calm down, there’s a sequel video: ‘clip some off the top and bottom bits before composting the rest’” …end up with a lot of pepper plants in your compost if’n you do that. “Not my compost! it gets to 65C!” your compost pile is nothing compared to my compost pile! “fight! fight!”)

12 Likes

I hate the top/bottom waste. I cut peppers just like strawberries, take a paring knife and insert near the stem, twist the food item, dispose of stem and minimal surrounding material. If I have to spend an extra 15 seconds to remove seeds or whatnot it’s no big deal to me, it’s not like I have to do this hundreds of times a day.

11 Likes

I do the same. It’s very quick once you’ve got the hang of it. Cut round the stem closely, slice once down one side, and you can easily pull out the center, seeds and all.

5 Likes

Cut down the seams.
Pull or cut the segment from the stalk.
Bash the seeds out.

I’m an ex-chef, don’t @ me.

19 Likes

Cut the top off, remove stem, set top aside. Reach into pepper cavity and remove and discard innards. Chop up everything. If slicing, slice one side, roll open, and slice away!

6 Likes

and to think ive been using my teeth all these years. this does seem easier… :hocho:

8 Likes

You can use an apple corer like this one, takes out the core and slices the sides evenly, as long as the bell pepper is nice and crisp (and the slicer is sharp).

4 Likes

Article omitted the link to the video: https://www.tiktok.com/@kellyscleankitchen/video/7102523728591850795

4 Likes

So much waste! If I had to do this 1000s of times a day, maybe I’d change my mind, but I prefer to avoid throwing out good food.

3 Likes

I use this all the time for my apples. Perfect slices every time.

1 Like

Cut a circle around the stem, pull stem. Core comes out. If no stem, push core in and cut in half, or stick your fingers in a little and pull, same result. Have to wash veggies before you use them anyway, so there go the seeds. Minimum wasted pepper.

2 Likes
  1. Cut off top of pepper.

2. Scoop out core and seeds.

3. Place ice ball in pepper cup.

4. Cover ice ball with fine spirits.

5. Empty fine spirits into self.

6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 until there are two pepper cups.

7. There are faster and easier ways to be sure, but this way will get you drunk.

14 Likes

Have you recovered yet, or do you still have the thousand yard stare? :wink:

5 Likes

It was a while ago, now I only have the Ninja-level knife skills and the copious swearing left to remind me.

12 Likes

If you have a parrot or parrot-like pet bird, or know someone who does, the cluster of seeds in a bell pepper is a particular treat to them. They will go right past everything in the dish, even a ring of fresh corn or a bit of apple, to get at that. Though in an immediate choice between a hard noodle of uncooked spaghetti and pepper seeds the noodle still wins.

12 Likes

Snap off stem. Using a paring knife cut around core. Remove core. Fill with ice. Top off with vodka. Add splash of sweet vermouth. Add blue-cheese olives to taste. Forget about dinner.

Ah crap, @vrplumber got there first!

5 Likes

It seems obvious you’d just use a coping saw

4 Likes

4 Likes