This levitating turntable plays your records in mid-air

Only $3.5k? Tish, pshaw, cheapskates!

Real Men buy $200k turntables with 80 kg damped pendulum weights!

Or you could just stream Pandora, the audio quality is about equal to vinyl.

4 Likes

“We changed the world . . . foreva.”

I would have opted for this track from Mr. Scruff.

2 Likes

While the audio quality is about equal if you look at distortion rates, the kind of distortion you get from (too much) digital compression is a lot more obnoxious than the distortion you get from vinyl.

Unless you solely listen to skrillex, with skrillex (or other ‘glitch’ music) the digital artefacts are a better fit.

1 Like

Terms

• Manufacturer’s 1-year warranty included

Is that a roundabout way of saying “All Sales Final” without saying “All Sales Final”? :thinking:

1 Like

I play my records on a 1970’s air hockey table.

4 Likes

It would be even cooler if the cartridge also levitated. And if it played my 78s. Oh, and the levitation electronics should be all vacuum tubes.

3 Likes

Well, at the very least, a floating turntable seems way less dangerous.
Also, these are way cool. And high-end turntables were never cheap.

Look for a used Everett upright if you need the space. They are great workhorses. Many are much cheaper (not all). Yamaha bought them out some time ago, but there’s plenty still floating around, some for as little as $500.

Obligatory man bun

Am I the only person in the world who puts on a vinyl record and NOT stare at my turntable while listening to the music?

1 Like

Perhaps only if they attempt to squeeze 'twixt the levitated platter and the base. :slight_smile:

The testimonials on the maker’s website are an order of magnitude worse. They’re unabashedly effusive and over-the-top in the way that only magazine audio reviewers can be (in order to survive, I guess).

1 Like

I thought this was a boing-boing store ad till I saw the price tag.

1 Like

Really? Promised?

Wow. I never got a promise. Just some silly cartoon jet-age fantasies, and bits of improbable sci-fi here and there. :upside_down_face:

What, did you invest in Moller SkyCar or something? :grimacing:

(Besides, why does everyone keep asking “Where’s my jetpack/flying car/whatever”? I mean, what, aren’t YOU building one? No? This shizz doesn’t magically happen by itself, y’know! Makers, get cracking!)

1 Like

Hey, how about a gliding tank?

I mean, it’s not quite a flying car, but it sure looks like a lot of fun :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Nope. I tend to listen with my eyes closed, so this wouldn’t be worth it for me.

1 Like

So, does it have 24 karat gold RCA connectors? Asking for a friend…

I can only imagine the side to side distortion in a mag lev turntable (although they have the ‘spinning sphere’ thing down). iirc there is some way of essentially scanning the disk using something like super duper optical imaging or maybe something crazy like an electron beam microscope. Like unspooling the thread of the sound wave, straightening it out for the digital era.

And powered by steam engine.

4 Likes

The major criteria of turntable quality are called wow+flutter and signal-to-noise ratio (SNR). Few reviews mention its lackluster 0.17% wow+flutter but admittedly good -73dB SNR which are stenographed from the user manual. No publication has mentioned actually testing the product so we’ll never know if that wow+flutter is unweighted (likely) or weighted.

Turntables with those specs and better may be had at half the cost these days.

1 Like

But can I scratch with it?