This new clip from American Gods Season 2 is worrisome

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/01/01/this-new-clip-from-american-go.html

2 Likes

Losing the showrunners wasn’t a great sign. Neither was the gap in production and loss of cast. Gaiman is supposedly still involved, but who knows how much, really.
I haven’t had high hopes for a while.

4 Likes

I dunno, I think we all wanted to see a man playing golf get run over, right about now.

10 Likes

I just want to see them tooling around in the House on the Rock.

3 Likes

I hope that, knowing all the behind-the-scenes drama, I’m reading into trouble that isn’t there.

I’m guessing you are.

I mean, of course, there’s no guarantee it won’t be complete dogshit. That can happen. But I think the fact that it’s getting made at all—that Starz isn’t cutting their losses—is more significant than who is the “showrunner,” a term we’ve only recently learned to ascribe godlike powers to.

The more likely explanation is that this was a bad choice of clip, or that no sufficiently epic clip conveyed the plot point they wanted to emphasize. I.e., things that really can be a single person’s fault.

1 Like

Only Odin knows how many seasons in the future that will be, though. They seem to be stretching things out a bit.

1 Like

I mean, Gaiman has more books to be writing, tours, events. I can’t imagine he’s much more than a consultant for the production team.

2 Likes

I… didn’t like it.,the first season… at all.
To me it seemed like a different story being told with different characters.
The worst bit was the casting, in my estimation.

2 Likes

A very untypical show, often with completely unexpected twists. Not sure any of that can be conveyed by a clip.

1 Like

I liked a couple of them, Ian McShane was good as ever, but I couldn’t get into it. I loved the book though.

2 Likes

I loved the book and am several issues in on the comic.
McShane just wasn’t Wednesday for me.

1 Like

Supposedly, the beginning of this season, if Neil Gaiman’s correct.

2 Likes

Sometimes trailers flop because the music isn’t ready yet. Have you ever noticed that one piece with the low brass that’s in 35% of all trailers? That’s why. I wonder if this would be better with different music?

Yeah, plus there’s his involvement in Good Omens (though I suppose that’s done with by now).
Gaiman was extremely involved in American Gods at the start - writing the scripts for early attempts that didn’t end up being used, but that was years ago. It sounded like he was still quite involved, but that’s relative to how involved the originators of the source material are in such situations (which is normally not at all).

Well heck, they’re just speeding things along. Perhaps I’m just misremembering how far along in the book that meeting happened, but it feels like there’s more things that have to happen before they get to that point, unless they’re re-arranging events.

3 Likes

Let’s hope it was a poor choice of clip. One of the great sources of menace in using Crispin Glover in the first season was his understatedness. Having him deliver a bog-standard villain monologue, complete with scary echoes, hints at laziness.

2 Likes

I’m fairly certain that’s starting off season 2, since the end of season 1, they ended with a shot of a bunch of gods waiting to get into the House on the Rock. I think they are starting season 2 with that scene…

3 Likes

He’s mainly been working on Good Omens this past year…

3 Likes

Huh, I somehow missed that…

2 Likes

I agree but wouldn’t it have been better if the golfer had been… I don’t know… A bit more orange?

3 Likes

According to the blog post he made this week, Neil Gaiman has been very busy in 2018 with Good Omens. Maybe not so much time spent with American Gods?