This new hard seltzer is made from the whey waste of Greek yogurt

Originally published at: This new hard seltzer is made from the whey waste of Greek yogurt | Boing Boing

4 Likes

They make it sound so appetizing…

3 Likes

I mean, whey based drinks aren’t exactly new. Apart from whey itself, which has been a refreshing drink for 100s, probably 1000s of years, the original Fanta recipe was whey-based. And the exceedingly popular Swiss soda Rivella still is.

Not to mention the fruit juice and whey drinks you can get everywhere in the alpine countries and beyond.

8 Likes

Does it pair well with Vegemite?

4 Likes

And Yak-Urine wine. Delish…

2 Likes

Most New Zealand-made white spirits start out by fermenting the dairy-industry byproducts.
https://distilledspiritsaotearoa.org.nz/membership/current-associate-members/lactanol/

6 Likes

No whey!

No Way Bill And Ted Bogus Journey GIF by Madman Films

11 Likes

Whey.

8 Likes

Google Photos
banana & custard limited edition yogurt

sounds like the mulled fruit fabric softener…

3 Likes

A good friend of mine recently created this non-alcoholic whey-based drink, loosely based on an Austrian recipe. The cucumber-lime one is delicious. Super refreshing, very sightly yogurty.

If you’re in Massachusetts it can be found at some Whole Foods, but mostly it’s easiest to find online.

3 Likes

It’s got electrolytes!

1 Like

My favourite vodka is made from whey - it seems very likely they get the base from the NZ source you linked. TIL.

1 Like

From their FAQ page:
Pronounced: “supa-frow”. Superfrau means Superwoman in German. It’s a tribute to our Alpine roots and all of the super benefits derived from the milk of a female cow. We think drinking fresh whey is super and makes you feel super too!

Alpine pro tip: if it comes from a male cow it’s high in protein, but not milk as such.

3 Likes

Over here it’s only Greek yogurt if it’s made in Greece, otherwise it’s Greek-style yogurt.

2 Likes

Even post-Brexit?

3 Likes

Yes, because it’s a UK High Court ruling in a lawsuit between Greek company FAGE and Chobani, which was selling “Greek yogurt” made in the USA.

3 Likes

I suspect rule of origin laws are going to be the first victim of a trade deal with the US.

3 Likes

easier to find online.

You’re thinking of having another glass of wine, maybe with a WingMan tablet while digesting your twitter comeuppance, and BAM, a can of cucumber whey hard selzer slides into your DMs.

boonspender and wikipedia > Vodka O is a 75 proof whey vodka made in Australia by ASM Liquor.

Damn, Australia, maybe I can get ACS Liquor and Johnston-Matthey Liquor and Exxon Minerals Asia Liquor flights sent? Asking for a lush…I mean friend.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.