This new SNL member impersonates Trump as if it's Trump himself

Originally published at: This new SNL member impersonates Trump as if it's Trump himself | Boing Boing

5 Likes

Let’s hope that it’s a skill that he’ll only use for retrospectives. Post Mortem ones.

19 Likes

How do we get him to stop?

19 Likes

Who would ever dare to try?

Oh I know-- distract him with a mound of cheeseburgers!

5 Likes

The impression is great, but let’s be honest; he’s far more coherent than trump even at his best.

16 Likes

I agree that it’s pretty good- but I don’t want to hear Trump’s voice at all, and that extends to impersonations.

18 Likes

Well that guy has a spot on impersonation. Though I am not sure how useful that will be for SNL comedic barbs… (wishful thinking). But looking forward to some fresh blood.

4 Likes

I agree with you until I heard this guy talking. I don’t want to hear Trump talking about his usual grievances. I don’t want to hear a Trump Impersonator go on about Trump’s grievances or even Impersonate Trump as President.

That being said, I WILL listen to “Trump” go on and on about how Scooby doesn’t “DO” anything and the show should be called “VELMA”.

I think this is how comedians should have dealt with him at the start. Take his voice and thought process and put him in normal situations. Make him less special. Put him in a SitCom where he is a car salesman and has to come home to his wife and kids.

15 Likes

He didn’t become president and become the leader of an anti-democratic authoritarian movement because enough people did not mock him… It happened because enough people did not take him and his rhetoric SERIOUSLY. :woman_shrugging: They continue to NOT do so.

15 Likes

That pokemon rant was great, even delivered by anyone else. Let’s not forget Donald was a career entertainer. The whole reality TV stint, and he’s always got that stand up comedian vibe when he gets on stage. It’s just never funny because he’s so transparently racist, woman-hating, and so on. Con artists have to be entertaining to make it in the world, that’s how they operate. That’s why it will be such good news when he’s dead- no one’s got the same cult-appeal. Unfortunately, as Mindysan notes, the rhetoric will live on (it’s been around for a while).

6 Likes

This guy PERFECTLY (and hilariously) captures Trump’s ability to vamp (bullshit) about almost any subject. The problem with Johnson’s impression is that it actually makes “Trump” sound like he knows what he’s talking about – which, come to think of it, is how Trump manages to fool so many subpar thinkers.

When Johnson starts doing SNL skits, I hope the substance of his rants are just dead wrong, like almost everything the real Trump utters.

4 Likes

Exactly this. He gets that narcissistic/dilettante multi-class thing that most impressions of Trump miss. Baldwin just picked up on the angry/stupid parts of Trump, but this guy gets Trump’s belief that he not only knows everything about whatever, but that no one in the room can possibly know more than him about it, and so needs to have it explained and if something is outside his comprehension, it’s outside all human comprehension.

Plus, Trump is almost certainly running in 2024, so this guy has a long runway ahead of him.

4 Likes

I wish him well but I also hope there’s no newsworthy reasons for him to impersonate Trump on the show in the coming years, unless maybe it’s a sketch situated in a courtroom or a prison.

4 Likes

Unfortunately, the odds are near even that Trump will win in 2024. The older, crazier Trump who will be focused on punishing those who “stole” the election from him will likely be far worse than the first time around.

1 Like

Two words: too soon.

2 Likes

Yeah, I only listened to the first video. With my eyes closed. Couldn’t take any more. Too realistic. Except I don’t think Trump knows the word ‘parody.’ That’s what broke it for me.

1 Like

I can barely stand to listen for long.

Replication doesn’t automatically make funny. There has to be some magic there. I hope they slap some frosting on that cake and add another absurd layer to the performance…something. It’s an uphill battle to avoid making him straight up intolerable to watch or hear in any form.

1 Like

And that’s why it’s nigh impossible to parody a guy who’s a genuine self parody; so over-the-top ridiculous that no comedian can top it. Comedians trying to parody an idiotic, Adderall snorting, narcissistic conman sound sane compared to the real thing.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.