This pigeon just sold for $1.9 million

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/11/17/this-pigeon-just-sold-for-1-9-million.html

3 Likes

Will it be posted to the buyer, or…?

11 Likes

I don’t know if I’d invest that much in something that could be eaten by a kestrel in the wild. One dive-bomb out of the sky later, and you’re out $1.9 mil.

9 Likes

What’s the shelf life of a pigeon that price?

3 Likes

Pigeon betting must be wild to drive these prices. I wonder if they are buying it for breeding? Horses can go for 10s of millions, so I guess this is just a less expensive, easier to keep tiny ‘horse’?

4 Likes

Also - this bird deserves a tiny crown:

9 Likes

[Looks mournfully out the window at my overrun bird feeder.]

3 Likes

Wait till they find out it’s just a rat.

16 Likes

Around here, we have Mourning Doves. They love to land on the roof of the feeder, peer down at the seed, but only the rare genius figures out how to land on the bar and get some. (Usually they give up and peck at what’s on the ground.)

4 Likes

New keyboard, etc, etc…

I hate those birds so much, but they are prolific in my area too. They are so unintelligent compared to most birds in the area that they will not move out of the way for bikes or cars, they will poop everywhere (more than pigeons I’ve found) and they will attract cats. We call them the “idiot birds” which is probably not very nice, but I doubt they’d understand. We also have “sky mice” (sparrows), “killer blues” (the jays), and even a flock of turkeys (one of which is albino which is kind of cool).

3 Likes

You need the fastest pigeons to keep up to date on tulip prices, so this is a savvy move on some coal barons part.

8 Likes

The mourning doves keep the hawks happy.

3 Likes

Word is that the buyer of New Kim wants to mate the bird with Armando, the previous record-holder. Whoever he is, he’s a billionaire, so I guess prices don’t matter much.

2 Likes

I suspect it will be kept strictly for breeding only.

3 Likes

I mean… how would you know for sure you go the right one?

Also, some pigeons glow under black light!

1 Like

New Kim

I’m guessing Kim didn’t live up to expectations

2 Likes

giphy

12 Likes

A Picasso painting is likely to have a lifespan longer than six years, though.

7 Likes

Beat me to it