Man accidentally buys 1,000 chickens

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/11/03/bock-bock-bock.html

2 Likes

I would take a single chicken for $1.50.

If 1000 showed up, I’d be in trouble with the missus. Her family and friends could only stand to absorb about 200, mine another 100.

14 Likes

But you know, you can’t put a price on seeming crazy, calling everyone you know, “I have hundreds of chickens I need to give away for free…”

12 Likes

Huh, well, good on him for working on getting the chickens rehomed. This rings odd to me though…

Morrow said he thought the highest bidder could take as many birds as they wanted and the seller would continue to auction the rest of them off until they were all gone.

He said he put in an auto bid for $20, thinking he could at least get two hens.

“When the auction closed, I thought ‘this is great’, I could take as many birds as I wanted,” Morrow said.

Granted I’ve never bid for livestock, but is that how livestock auctions normally work? All the auctions I’ve ever seen have you bid on a set quantity, be it one, a lot of a certain number or all. I’ve never heard of an auction where the bidder gets to decide on the number after they’ve won, but maybe Morrow has. As I said though, he sounds like a stand-up guy for working to get the chickens rehomed, and I’m glad he and the seller can work to that end despite their disagreement.

Is it wrong that this story makes me peckish?

12 Likes

I used to own I think about five chickens and it was a disaster. They attract rats and the rats eat absolutely everything, including high pressure water pipes.

8 Likes

my wife worked as a rural letter carrier for the u.s. postal service for 30+ years. there were numerous times during her career when she delivered live chicks to addresses on her route. sending live chicks by mail was (and so far as i know still is) a thing over the years she probably delivered a few thousand live chicks. the most she ever delivered at one time was 300, of which only 1 had died in transit.

13 Likes

How very quantum mechanical. Were you afraid to count them in case they morphed into a well defined number of unknown beasts?

12 Likes

Mixing physics and livestock can be perilous…

13 Likes

The USPS still has a “Mailable live animals” section, so I believe it is still a thing.

Apparently pheasants are only legit April through August. I’d love to know why that is.

10 Likes

Coming soon to Netflix.

3 Likes

$1.50?

That’s chicken feed.

15 Likes

There isn’t an “r” in the month. No wait . . .

4 Likes

In the UK, you can send insects and invertebrates but not other live animals. Bees by post!

5 Likes

4 Likes

Yes, but don’t get your feathers ruffled over it.

See, now you’ve egged me on, I can only comb the thread for other fowl allusions!

11 Likes

It’s still a thing, but oddly enough, they don’t deliver the last mile. You get a phone call shortly before sunrise to go rescue your local post office from the incessant chirping. We’ve gotten three batches that way over the past couple years, as recently as last month. (I should start a thread to post videos of thirty little chicks learning to “fly”. We find the GoPro footage from the ChickBin very soothing to watch.)

12 Likes

I am a Nigerian farmer who just got to inherit ONE THOUSAND chickens. I just need $250 to buy transport for them.

15 Likes

I promise not to get too eggceptionally eggcited. I’m no spring chicken, so I don’t cluck too much about my coops d’état.

6 Likes

I’d show you a leg but you’d only pullet. As for all these puns, I think we should bantam.

7 Likes

PS I’d stop trying to shoehorn any more in, but there’s so many I’d need a leghorn.
Wattle we do? We should put a capon it.

6 Likes