This pigeon just sold for $1.9 million

I’ll take a red-tail and its chicks over one of those cooing things any time.

1 Like

Pigeon racers are notorious for killing raptors for just that reason. E.g., https://www.stamfordadvocate.com/local/article/Man-kills-hawks-for-preying-on-his-racing-pigeons-6838512.php

2 Likes

I would have said the buyer is Mike Tyson - but I think even he would balk at that price. This is the guy that reportedly spent his $400 million fortune on all sorts of crazy shit.

…or “Kestrel manoeuvres in the dark.”

4 Likes

Is this just for money-laundering somehow, like high-end art sales are reputed to be?

1 Like

Was just a couple of weeks ago I was watching the live cam of the Melbourne peregrine falcons and the dad bought back half a pigeons carcass to feed the young and it had a band on it’s leg! Yikes!!

3 Likes

Yes, what a magnificent beast that would be in the pigeon stud farm.

Hope it doesn’t break a leg and then be euthanized and turned into cat food :grin:

1 Like

About the same as those free pigeons strutting around, pooping on everything I suspect.

1 Like

Let us not mention the unfortunate fate of Speckled Jim. . .

Kim was New Kim’s mother. Some pigeon names are quite fanciful. Others, not so much.

Yes, but is it able to reproduce?

I remember seeing a survey of the most popular dog names, and “New Dog” ranked surprisingly high.

I have cooked pigeon in a high end restaurant although we used the term squab!

May Speckled Jim live on in our hearts and stomachs.

2 Likes

Yeah, I suppose “flying rat” might put customers off.

2 Likes

People sell reproductions of Picasso paintings all the time.

1 Like

He would have liked that joke.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.