This protestors’ sign sums things up quite nicely

So basically, you’re saying making our institutions more democratic won’t happen, but also don’t go out on the streets, unless there is a very good, singular, policy-based reason to do so.

9 Likes

But that was just a few bad apples… /s

14 Likes

https://twitter.com/patrick_speaks/status/798231417205489664

12 Likes

But, according to Pat Buchanan, Hitler had a few good ideas, right? /s

9 Likes

It didn’t work in 1824, or in 1876, 1888, or 2000, and it didn’t work in 2016. It fails quite a bit.

10 Likes

“Unsubstantiated stories of Trump-induced terror”? Bullshit.

I’ve seen hundreds of posts here alone from members of our own community who are terrified of what a Trump presidency brings.

An affluent suburb of Seattle near me had swastikas spray-painted on walls of a public park.

But I guess it’s all in our heads because some libertarian-leaning e-zine said so?

20 Likes

That may have been the one time it was a good thing that the candidate who won the popular vote lost the election since it put John Q. Adams in the office instead of genocidal maniac Andrew Jackson. But Jackson ended up in office four years later anyway, so even in that case it just delayed the bad result instead of preventing one.

8 Likes

I remember as a youth thinking how genius it was when GHWB had Dan Quayle as his VP. Nobody would want to assassinate/impeach/remove him and risk a Quayle presidency.

Now it’s just (literal and metaphorical) dicks all the way down.

9 Likes

The transcripts of HRC’s speeches show that she planned to support the pipeline projects. So that happens either way.
“We were up against Russia pushing oligarchs and others to buy
media. We were even up against phony environmental groups, and I’m a big
environmentalist, but these were funded by the Russians to stand
against any effort, oh that pipeline, that fracking, that whatever will
be a problem for you, and a lot of the money supporting that message was
coming from Russia,” HRC, 2014 (via wikileaks)

I agree that climate change is a battle to be fought, but I don’t think Clinton was really going to be much help there, either.

If you don’t like immigration laws, my suggestion would be to lobby for new ones. If you believe in open borders, that is your choice. many people disagree. I suspect that the Hispanic turnout for Trump indicated that they did not buy the godwin-like pronouncement that all border controls are racist. It seems like Trump has walked back on the mass deportation thing, which seemed pretty unworkable anyway.

I am not cheering Trump. If you want to blame someone, blame the DNC. They were never anything more in this election than HRC’s election committee. Nobody else was ever going to get nominated. If they had nominated a viable candidate, all those Obama voters who went Trump this time would not have done so.

You haven’t been paying attention.

18 Likes

That’s how it’s designed to work - rule of the majority, with respect to the minority.

We’re a nation of states - and the big giant hugely-populated states do not get to dictate to smaller less-populous states.

I detest this Trump vote, and the narrow margins blow my mind. But blaming the electoral college for working correctly to protect small states from large ones is missing the point.

3 Likes

But Trump denounced those actions, right?

6 Likes

The DNC is responsible for Hillary. The RNC is responsible for Trump.

There is zero doubt in my mind as to which of those is more worthy of admonishment.

10 Likes

I guess a collective of small states effectively deciding the election for the rest of the country is fair?

8 Likes

Exactly! (If you mean in the #sorrynotsorry sense.)

6 Likes

Actions speak louder than words, and Trump just screamed that he’s fine with white nationalists by posting Steve Bannon to a high-level White house staff position.

9 Likes

And yet:

Words are nice. Actions, however, fucking shout louder sometimes.

8 Likes

Says the person who’s consistently defended Trump, made false claims about Clinton, and continues to say we’re better off with Trump.

18 Likes

Not all of us are better off… just the people who actually matter. /s

13 Likes

My daughter made a sign too! She was on TV after participating in a protest with my wife over the weekend. (It was the local FOX affiliate so I imagine that means we’ll be getting death threats soon but I’m proud of them.)

28 Likes