This self-described "racist horrible person" is completely accurate

This seems to be a common thread in all these videos. Some peoples’ reaction to the moment is to double-down really hard and try to tunnel their way out of the situation. From the tone they take on (as this woman does) it seems that they think they are out-clevering the video camera. As though they are so unassailably correct here that they can be snarky and it will come across as funny and make a fool of the cameraperson. There’s a profound self-righteousness required to think this would ever work. The kind of person who sees everyone around them sending clear signals that they are in the wrong and still believes they are in the right is what it takes to star in a video like this.

I suppose this is also selection bias. Most peoples’ reaction to a bad moment suddenly being filmed is probably to quiet down and shuffle off, and I suppose those don’t get uploaded to the internet.

I’ve seen this format of racism from some people I know in real life. The line about “only X [name of some group] in [geographical area]”. It’s a weird sort of projection about a desire for segregation. The implication being, “there are few of you here so why don’t the rest of you leave?” Or, “why did you come here when it’s clear you don’t belong?” Quoting the numbers is a way of claiming moral high ground, as though it’s a democracy of race and everyone voted you off the island, so you should leave. A weird micro-aggression, to be sure.

5 Likes

Then she tried to leave, and that didn’t work out so well for her either…

3 Likes

Stayed tuned to find out what Karen says to her Chinese American neighbor when she finally gets home!!

2 Likes

Good theories regarding her ridiculous comments, but there are no fish markets (black or otherwise) near this restaurant (The Boathouse), which is located at Arroyo Burro Beach in Santa Barbara. The restaurant is the only business in the area. It’s right on the edge of Hope Ranch.

She’s channeling 100% Karen nonsense.

2 Likes

Santa Barbara Fish Market is right over by Leadbetter Beach, about 3.5 miles away via Cliff Drive (or Shoreline as an alternative).

Correct. The place where this video was taken (Arroyo Burro, AKA Hendry’s) is not adjacent to the Harbor where Santa Barbara Fish Market is located. It is 3.5 miles away.

Paul Feig Movie GIF by 1091

I certainly hope you are not insinuating that Black folks can’t drive.

1 Like

Are we really getting into the semantics of what constitutes “near” here? Because that sounds pretty nearby to me.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.