This stop-motion short from 1933 is perfect nightmare fuel

Originally published at: This stop-motion short from 1933 is perfect nightmare fuel | Boing Boing

5 Likes

Yikes, that’s disturbing.

8 Likes

Thanks. I hate it.

8 Likes

tenor (1)

14 Likes

I swear I first heard this tune is some early Warner Bros. cartoon. I bet it was an homage to this animation that the cartoonists slipped by.

6 Likes

As my Spanish professor used to say…“Cacahuetes!”

Also…precursor to the Spongmonkeys?

8 Likes
12 Likes

http://www.screenonline.org.uk/film/id/531100/index.html

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0024432/

EDIT:
Swapped out the IMDB link. Disabled link gives the right title, but provides information about another film. Thanks to @anon76551318 for spotting this!

8 Likes

Eat your heart out, Gumby!

8 Likes

Yikes! I’m gibbon out of here! :monkey:

5 Likes

That creepy-ass mouth movement makes me think this nightmare is the spiritual ancestor to Robot Chicken

6 Likes

I like the Stan Kenton rendition best of all.

5 Likes

Nice percussion in this arrangement!

4 Likes

I always liked the one they used to show all the time on Night Flight back in the day, “The Devil’s Ball,” which I believe was part of a longer reel called “The Mascot.”

6 Likes

Someone with IMDB privileges should fix the listing for this short. They describe the Fleischer cartoon but show a screen grab from the Lye animation. Gotta say that Armida dances a whole lot better than this critter.

3 Likes

Detachable peanuts.

2 Likes

It looks like an early Quiznos commercial.

3 Likes

Public Service Announcement: It’s probably a bad idea to buy peanuts from a vendor who wipes his ass with his tail.

3 Likes

I’m not sure how something could be both charming and terrifying to any particular person… apart from a tame pet lion that decides to tear your ass up.

1 Like

Kind of cute in an etiolated Simpsons Terminator Furby sort of way.

If stop-motion nightmares are your thing don’t miss Phil Tippet’s Mad God making the rounds.

3 Likes