This updated title sequence for 'The Conversation' is a great homage

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/07/21/this-updated-title-sequence-fo.html

1 Like

1 Like

That was really good. The artist is well-positioned to do the title sequences for whatever films and TV series emerge from the current awfulness (like The Conversation emerged from the Nixon era).

4 Likes

Very stylish. I think it works better as a trailer and not a title sequence. That original slow push in over the titles, visually isolating Hackman (and Robert Shields), resonates with his surveillance work (isolating audio tracks) and immediately emphasizing his paranoia of being noticed or mocked. Big fan of that slow slow zoom in by Murch.

8 Likes

I’ve always loved the connection between The Conversation and Enemy of the State, and the opening sequence is reminiscent of the original, but also very late 90s.

2 Likes

Am I the only one bothered by the use of 3.5mm TRS jacks instead of the period-appropriate 1/4" TS jacks?

6 Likes

Probably.

But that’s the fun thing about the BBS: with thousands of readers, there will always be an expert on any minutia.

4 Likes

I was thinking the same thing. As a trailer, this would have me rushing out to watch the movie - even knowing nothing about it.

Though I agree, The Conversation is a great film.

3 Likes

I noticed that too. Harry Caul strikes me as the kind of guy who would get really angry about an op that was ruined through improper cabling. 3.5 mm cables are the work of the devil.

4 Likes

I wonder if “He’d kill us if he got the chance” might be a bit of a spoiler up front.

No, because that’s how you hear it over and over again in the movie, until the very end.

2 Likes

On my list!

2 Likes

The Uher universal 5000 decks that feature in the film use din connectors.

1 Like

It’s like a trilogy

The Conversation (1974)
Company Business (1991)
Enemy of the State (1998)

The Gene Hackman character in the third film is sort of a combination of the two earlier ones

4 Likes

I’ve always been a fan of the theory of Enemy of the State as a faux sequel to The Conversation.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.