This USB powered lighter is a good replacement for matches

I have the same one but with a ~ 4 inch gooseneck that works for grills (I use it to light paraffin firestarters for charcoal, but it would work for gas grills or lighter fluid-soaked charcoal).

At the other end of the technological spectrum, my friend makes and sells these “fire steel”, https://www.oceancamp.ca/firesteel-product-page. No battery required.

Recently bought one of these. They hurt the hell out of my ears. I put my earbuds in for noise cancellation first :joy:

Why not just use the computer battery itself and skip the middleman. They make great fires.

No, but it works for boing boing loads.

1 Like

I like, very much, the two TackLife products I’ve purchased via the bb store. The lightweight dremeley thing (which i use quite often for small jobs) and the rechargeable wand lighter. I’d probably have gone for this but my cousin replaced the innards of my zippo with an arc-light conversion.

Congratulations! You have successfully reinvented the linstock, the tool that was used to light the touch hole of cannon.

The slow match they would have used would also have been hemp cord so you can see yourself in a long tradition of musketeers and artillerymen.

3 Likes

You’ve somehow missed all the threads on mouse traps on BB?

2 Likes

no but sounds interesting, i’ll look into it. thanks for the rec!

1 Like

Thanks, that made my morning, actually.

Will look into replicating a miniature linstock like the one in the photo!

3 Likes

I just ordered a sample pack from hempwick.com. They only charge for the shipping. I bought a spool of it before from another brand, can’t remember which, but I had no complaints about it either.

1 Like

I’m glad. Always nice to share a bit of history.

There were all kinds of linstock, including with stabby bits if the enemy overran you but you probably won’t need that.

2 Likes

Indeed I always make sure my enemies are far away prior to indulging!

1 Like

I bought this exact lighter last year based on a Boing Boing recommendation. It does work fairly well, but I’ve had one problem with mine that makes it 2nd place to an actual lighter. To use this, you have to slide the orange piece forward, which slides the electrodes out, while also exposing the “on” button. When you are done, you have to slide it back closed.

The one I got has a very “sticky” slider on it, so sometimes it slides open and shut easily, but more often than not it takes a lot of force to get the electrodes exposed so I can use it. There have been a few times when I couldn’t get it to open using just my thumb and had to get out my pocket knife and shove it against the slider really hard to get it to budge.

I don’t know if I just got a defective one, but buyer beware.

Strange, i didn’t realize the model i have and the one in the article are really different. Mine does have a cover i can slide on or off the button to activate it but it doesn’t manipulate the electrodes at all, those are fixed and is a long flexible wand kind of design. I checked and i don’t think Tacklife sells the model i bought anymore, i see knockoff mystery brands with that design so i couldn’t personally vouch for an alternative but looks like Ronxs is well liked. They have a few different models, here’s a random one

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.