This visual timeline of the STAR WARS saga compared to years in the real world is blowing my mind

As a German of above 50: Just for reference (as sad as it is):
Todays young adults have mostly no living relative that witnesssed WW2. The holocaust that was part of the personal liferstory of my grandparents is just some ‘history lesson’.

We have a generation of 20yo that have never witnessed the GDR, iron curtain etc.

So the mind is able to ignore or ‘rationale away’ a lot, while I agree, forgetting a powerfull cast like the Jedi seems strange.

12 Likes

Bo-Katan Kryze seems to have aged remarkably well too considering she was supposed to be at least 25 years older in The Mandalorian than she was in The Clone Wars.

4 Likes

If Yoda is a baby in 1993 then how can he have died in The Empire Strike’s back? This timeline makes zero sense.

2 Likes

You’re aware that the Child is not Yoda, but of his species?

10 Likes

Unless they pull one of those stupid time travel gimmicks that sends him 850 years into the past or something.

2 Likes

The kid even has a different name and the time period of the show was clearly set post RotJ in the first episode. How anyone thought Grogu was ever Yoda escapes me. Sure, call him that since we as a species like names on things (other than just “the child”) I can understand why calling him Baby Yoda worked, but once his name was used all this nonsense should stop.

4 Likes

I don’t think many people who were actually following the show really thought he was supposed to be the same guy. But if one was to entertain that theory, establishing the character had a different name wouldn’t mean much considering that several prominent Star Wars characters have been known to adopt aliases. (“Obi-Wan” became “Ben,” “Anakin Skywalker” became “Darth Vader,” etc.)

5 Likes

Two examples in a whole galaxy of characters is a bit of a stretch imo.

Moreso it is just people not paying attention and actually understanding what they are seeing.

Also, get off my lawn.

1 Like

I don’t think they’re going to pull a “Grogu grows up to be Yoda!” twist. I’m just saying if they wanted to they could come up with some sci-fi-force-magic bullshit explanation for doing so.

5 Likes

Well, time travel already exists in Star Wars (see the World Between Worlds in Rebels) so they could easily do so, I just don’t see Filoni and Favreau doing so. Filoni took great care working with Lucas to add time travel in SW. I don’t see them using it all willy nilly.

As someone who is currently 63 I can attest to looking and feeling older than my years - but, as Harrison Ford once said in an entirely different movie: “It’s not the years, it’s the mileage.”

9 Likes

Not that it makes a lick of difference but why wasn’t this timeline started in 1977 with A New Hope and then calculated from there in opposite directions? Just askin’.

4 Likes

Perspective of the person who made it?

Or placing the last trilogy in relation to release year so more people could grasp the distance?

4 Likes

And my biggest issue? The old republic was founded 25000 years before SWIV (and they’re still using similar technology)

2 Likes

Harrison Ford, as befitting the hard-core Star Wars fan that he is, actually said “It’s not the parsecs, it’s the parsecs.”

10 Likes

be honest, how many kids today know anything about the bush or clinton administrations? yeah of course the info is out there, but without the internet, imagine being on another planet, at best it would be like word of mouth second or 4th hand stories from people who may have experienced maybe some of the events but never met a jedi personally. Like, yeah Luke visited endor and made C3PO float but the ewoks had no real experience or knowledge of the jedi. Most of the people in that galaxy would probably know about the wars, the space and land battles and the machinery and people killed but way fewer would know about the Jedi. We just know because the films focus on them. But they are a tiny minority in the galaxy. I find it easy for someone like han to have vaguely heard about jedi or the force and dismiss it because he’s never seen it first hand, but has seen the mechanical and numerical might of the empire or local warlords. The later two seeming to someone like him to be the actual powers in the galaxy.

5 Likes

because thats when the haircuts make sense. (ha. really its just arbitrary but it makes emotional sense to me)

1 Like

With a very outsized role in galactic events. Heck, Palpatine even used the Jedi attempt on his life as his justification for seizing power as Emperor in that big speech before the Senate.

2 Likes

even there, just cuz you heard someone tried to assassinate him (again do people in this galaxy even learn history like that) it would be easy to just see him as a literal political emperor who had an assasination attempt by some rival political leader if you hadn’t seen them use his force powers. Like we know the mormon church exists but do we all believe an angel delivered some gold plates to their founder a couple hundred years ago or do we mostly just say “yeah that sounds like something a guy made up”

1 Like

Frankly the answer is obvious enough that you shouldn’t need it explained. But to be clear: Yoda died peacefully in his bed, so after a brief period as a force ghost, he was able to reincarnate as a baby. Note this is in contrast to Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan, who died fighting Sith, and as a result instead moved on to Valhalla.

9 Likes