This website will generate 90s music festivals for you

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/10/17/this-website-will-generate-90s-music-festivals-for-you.html

3 Likes

Coldplay headlining a 90s concert over Alanis Morissette before they’d released their first studio album?

2 Likes

I 'm not even attending virtually if Coldplay are on. My fave lineup ever at a festival was Reading '90.

(everyone threw piss at An Emotional Fish, who I never heard of again after that day)

15 Likes

What a lineup, damn!

2 Likes

Welp, I’m here for this!

9 Likes

Every artist name links to archive footage of a live performance (if they played live in the UK during the 90s).

Oh, so it only links to sellout artists. [sniffs haughtily]

I thought maybe it would link to some actual musicians, like… oh, forget it, you wouldn’t know about them. [idly re-waxes goatee]

6 Likes

It was ace. Someone hit me feet-first with their DMs stagediving whilst Mudhoney were on, but other than that, it was a fine weekend

3 Likes

That does look great!

Very surprised though to see The Cramps headlining over Janes Addiction. In the US, almost certainly you would have had JA headlining as they were a pretty big deal at that time. Maybe that is why Perry Farrell started Lollapalooza - so his band could headline a festival lol.

3 Likes

I misread The Liberties as The Libertines, and was confused because Pete Doherty would have been about 10 then

3 Likes

Well this show was only 3 days after Ritual came out. So even a month or two later this lineup probably would have looked a little different (also The Cramps over Nick Cave and FNM is kind of shocking).

2 Likes

My anglophilia began in the late ‘80s through the’ 90s simply due to the festival lineups I saw in NME and Melody Maker. Never made it to experience IRL but I did it make it to some dance clubs and an auto race… #wistfulrecollection

The Bad Seeds still hadn’t gone HUGE (and a spotty live band at the time) and FNM were basically a one-hit since this woulda been for The Real Thing.

Not to mention… playing after a Cramps set would’ve been risky. Tough to beat Lux when he was on. I really miss the SF Halloween shows.

edit - and I forgot that The Cramps were hot off their juggernaut of an album Stay Sick. I cracked 3 ribs on the security barrier at the Austin Opry House stop of that tour.

2 Likes

Can’t be a “90s Music Festival” without Spin Doctors so I’m calling bullshit.

3 Likes

Spin Doctors “Pocket Full of Kryptonite” or whatever the album was, was my first ever compact disc!

A seriously underrated album that could not be more early-90s. Like, some legit good songs on this disc - all the same song, mind you! - but legit good, fun music.

Poor Emotional Fish, having to follow Jane’s Addiction!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.