This whole week is made up of palindrome dates!

Originally published at: This whole week is made up of palindrome dates! | Boing Boing

5 Likes

Insert obligatory “unless you’re in a part of the world where dates make sense” comment.

34 Likes

Beat me to the punch. Next palindromic date in the UK, using DMYY format, is 4/2/24. For DDMMYYYY we have to wait until 03/02/2030.

13 Likes

If they wanted to feature a song about palindromes, Weird Al’s “Bob” is so much better.

10 Likes

The next palindromic date is October 12, 2101. [EDIT: wait, no, March 2, 2030, as theophrastus correctly points out below. My bad.]

This message is brought to you by ISO-8601.

21 Likes

If I could give this 10+ likes all by myself, I would. I switched to pretty-close-to-ISO-8601 in 1996 (when I spent time in Japan) and have never looked back.

11 Likes

I work in software so it seems pretty natural to me, but now that I think about it, I’ve been writing my dates that way since elementary school. I’m not sure if that was the standard way kids were taught to write dates where and when I was in school, or if I was just a particularly nerdy 9-year-old. (I mean, I’m sure of the latter, but not the former).

5 Likes

Insert obligatory observation that this is almost everyone in the world, and that it’s the US that’s the odd one out

9 Likes

This is the true way, friend.

7 Likes

2023-03-22

I don’t see it

11 Likes

Post gets props for the nifty list of US palindrome dates for this month, and then immediately muted because of all the needless whinging.

The US is backwards a/f; yes, we know.

12 Likes

und… next in that only sane format will be: 2030-03-02

(godbless “from datetime import datetime, timedelta” and all them what sails upon it)

6 Likes

Obligatory…

6 Likes

And proud of it. Y’all are just jealous.

Basketball Falling GIF by Philadelphia 76ers

5 Likes

Welcome to BoingBoing! Here’s an assist with the link to that underrated video.

11 Likes

1991 was the International Year of the Palindrome This one always sticks in my mind “Drat Saddam, a mad dash.”

(Original image: xkcd: ISO 8601)

15 Likes

… something something, the month of Rebober

1 Like

Pi day is on July 22nd, innit?

Dates in Canada are always confusing because we have to parse out which format has been used.

5 Likes

h Saddam a mad das tard?

1 Like