Happy PI day

[Permalink]

Only in America…

2 Likes

Best Pi day in history was in 1519.

3 Likes

Yes, as a geek, Pi day is cool. As a geek, the ridiculous MM/DD/YY date format is annoying beyond belief.

5 Likes

2 Likes

Yeah, I use the normal date format even though I’m in America, so for me it’s 14/03/2014. I don’t see pi in there.

2 Likes

And I go alpha numeric to ensure no-one ever gets confused - 14-Mar-2014.

1 Like

It’s 3/14 all month.

6 Likes

Next year is 3.14.15

Yes, and at twenty-six minutes and fifty-three seconds after 9 o’clock it will be 3.14.15 9:26:53

2 Likes

1592, actually.

My friend’s daughter is in a school contest to memorize the most digits of pi. She’s up to 50, but pushing on to 70, because she thinks there’s one other girl who is a threat. Winner gets an actual pie.

1 Like

There’s always ISO format: 2014-03-14. The approximation of pi is in there,
but only after “20140”.

1 Like

Uh, private investigator.

2 Likes

(not that your friends daughter or peers are dicks, I just like the comic)

11 Likes

Ha! Yes - that’s the format I use for file versions! It’s the best - they line up properly.

Wow… mid-March already…

Time to start planning for Bicycle Day!

Anybody for whom getting the date right really matters, uses 2014-03-14 format. As you say, it also has the benefit of easily ordering alphanumeric lists of document versions by date.

2 Likes

ssoooooo many people rely on the “creation date”, which actually is the “last altered date” - they’re so square.

I use YYYY/MM/DD whenever I can get away with it; from most significant unit to smallest. It makes sorting date-named files so much easier.

1 Like

I go YYYYMMDD.

That way the numbers always increment for dates so they sort properly.

1 Like