Thoughtful, devastating critique of Jordan Peterson's "12 Rules for Life"

I’d post some pics of crawfish gumbo for the folks from the southern US, but you know. They’re not lobsters.

8 Likes

See, with what I know of daschunds, I thought that would be:

Make sure you build a warm and comfy nest. Preferably somewhere no one esle can reach. This is your throne of power.

11 Likes

Newfoundlanders prefer Newfoundlander to “newfies” so you know.

And unless its cod or salt meat they don’t care.

7 Likes

Yes, tell me more…

5 Likes

With ponzu. Its unami-licious!

1 Like

Nah, they are too busy taking out their inherent aggression on you. Lamenting the cruel fate of selective breeding which has left them as the only dog breed which has difficulty licking its genitals.

5 Likes

I had to google that.

5 Likes

OMG ponzu is delicious! There is lime and lemon versions! Depending on your desire! I use it more than I use regular soya sauce! Om nom nom!!

6 Likes

I guess that makes you another victim of @Mangochin’s ponzu scheme.

17 Likes

Sounds like that’s right up my kid’s alley; she likes Japanese food, and loves lemon and lime on pretty much anything savory.

There are worse schemes to get caught up in…

:slight_smile:

12 Likes

(small) words here (/small) works for me. Replacing ( brackets with < ones, of course.

10 Likes

Roger that!

13 Likes

It’s obviously part of the self-help genre, but without any kind of solution. Peterson identifies problems, but then leaves open what the reader is to do to rectify the problems. The problem with this, of course, is that vagueness allows anyone to fill the void with anything, up to and including murder, as a remedy for what’s wrong. As the TLS review observes, Peterson states a universal claim, such as “there are hierarchies” and advises his readers that they have to be at the top of those hierarchies – but how they will do that goes unsaid. Or, Peterson observes that things ain’t what they used to be (meaning white men can no longer succeed merely by showing up) – but without addressing how his readers can survive in this new world (other than, perhaps, reversing the course of history – the likely effect envisioned by many voters of a Certain Orange Person).

12 Likes

Oh, thanks! Now my text will be unstoppable.

11 Likes

I’d rather read that crayfish study. It’s not even in my wheelhouse.

8 Likes

Admire my enormous text!

Like [small] only [big].

8 Likes

Amateur.

15 Likes

I lament there’s no [McLargeHuge] tag.

HTML (or whatever this is) could have been fun.

7 Likes

So you’re saying if I clean my room, that won’t suddenly make me master of the universe?

How bout if I start wearing lobster claw prosthetics?

22 Likes

Happy Memorial Day Weekend, USians!