Thousands of American kids are getting free university educations in Germany

In the presidential election, there are only two parties.

1 Like

The money is the bigger hurdle for me. I donā€™t speak German, but if I did decide to go this route (and there a lot of other factors that might limit its suitability) I am a fairly quick study when it comes to languages. I rather look forward to the prospect. Actually, the big issue right now is sunk cost. Iā€™m already more than halfway through my American undergraduate education, and figuring out how to bring all of the pieces together in terms of my personal life would also prove challenging. Itā€™s grad school that looks like a more realistic target, and I wouldnā€™t doubt the considerations there are different.

Iā€™m all for well-rounded doctors, but thatā€™s not what this system generates. It generates a lot of very nervous undergrads who canā€™t deal with failure and who canā€™t see the forest from their grades. I wouldnā€™t care so much though if universities didnā€™t cater so much to what the medical establishment foisted onto them.

1 Like

I sincerely fucking hope so. Iā€™m still sulking about our election, and hoping Cameronā€™s government will somehow collapse. Also, that Harriet Harman is squashed in an amusing accident involving a piano.

2 Likes

Also, Berlin is fucking awesome.

3 Likes

Holy hell I never heard about that. What a disaster!

So is Bernie?

Why are you championing false equivelance? Youā€™re basing your suppositions on falsehoods.

Please show me the ā€œother partiesā€ that are in the same position as Bernie Sanders?

Who else is doing this?

Please educate us.

And the very sad thing is people who donā€™t bother to vote (or throw away their votes) will whine that thereā€™s no third parties to vote for.

Meanwhile, they ignorantly throw away their votes to Republicans who destroy hopes of third parties in the future with rampant gerrymandering, voter suppression and disenfranchisement.

What a pathetic, ignorant and lazy ass way to shot oneself in the foot.

The Republicans and bluedog Democrats simply love this kind of ignorance.

1 Like

I think you left out a party there (and misattributed one of your quotes).

The Democrats arenā€™t anyoneā€™s friend but the Democrats. They have no pressure to reform as long as they know theyā€™ll get votes simply because their not the Republicans. Both have conspired to keep it this way.

2 Likes

Start a topic to discuss.

No, not at all. Do your research.

Democrats and Republicans are radically different in this regard.

The Democratic party does not participate in voter suppression, etc. ā€“ As a matter of fact, the Democratic party pushes ā€œGet out the voteā€ campaigns and is well-documented in fighting Republican voter disenfranchisement, etc.

You should also research district gerrymandering. Republicans do it vastly more than Democrats do in modern times.

If youā€™ve ever worked with groups that are trying to form third parties (as I have), youā€™d know that voter suppression methodologies and especially gerrymandering are huge obstacles to forming a foundation for progressive third parties in the first place.

I donā€™t like the Democratic party (as a whole) and thatā€™s why I want them replaced and/or reformed, but I also donā€™t think spinning our wheels and falling victim to false equivalence between them and the Republican party is a good strategy for beating them. It has the very opposite effect.

Suggested reading: Sun Tzu - The Art of War

With lots of commentary:

Pretty much just the translated book:
http://www.stanford.edu/class/polisci211z/1.1/Sun%20Tzu.pdf

The Democrats arenā€™t anyoneā€™s friend but the Democrats.

It makes no difference that they do this for self-serving purposes or not. Either way, it creates a vastly more hospitable climate for future third parties when Democrats win and Republicans lose.

See The Art of War aboveā€¦

They have no pressure to reform as long as they know theyā€™ll get votes simply because their not the Republicans. Both have conspired to keep it this way.

Please donā€™t succumb to false equivalency.

Thereā€™s a crucial difference. Most Republicans (if not all of them) have conspired to keep the status quo in line (fight reforms). But the truth of the matter that the corporate media wonā€™t tell you is that there are some Democrats who are fighting for reform. You really need to look at their voting records and act accordingly.

I suppose you also think most Democrats voted for the Iraq war? No, another propagated myth derived from corporate media bullshit. Most Democrats voted against it while nearly every single Republican voted for it.

There are critical similarities between the two parties and thatā€™s why I want the Democratic party both reformed and eventually replaced by progressive third parties.

There are also critical differences that shouldnā€™t be ignored or it will work to help both parties to support the corporatist right.

More on this reality and corresponding strategy.

1 Like

I have the Art of War right here in a bilingual edition with the Classical Chinese, which Iā€™ve been working to learn to read. Thanks, though. :smile:

1 Like

They wanted to build a new building and the administration went along with it.

The dorms, I know. I went pre-dorms, when you had to fight the hipsters for an apartment somewhere in Queens.

Dorms? No, they tore down one of the older buildings to put this up:

$111 million dollars.

Also, this just happened:

1 Like

Wow, I just got done google earthingā€¦ Looks like they tore down the admin building, thatā€™s the engineering school. Pretty snazzy for an engineering school. I canā€™t weep for the old engineering building, it looked like a motel.

But my Godā€¦ the Kiev restaurant turned into a Starbucks? Where will the poor students get their pierogi and borsch now?

I would like to stick my nose in and point out the Democrats would be happy to gerrymander all over the place, but they lost control of state governments in lots of places, mostly for lack of trying.

Oh whoa, youā€™re about ten years behind then. And the answer is Veselka on St. Markā€™s. Or Coney Island. The Stage Diner next to the Orpheum just closed this year as well, and I think we can all admit their pirogi were superior because they just never cleaned the griddle.

1 Like

ā€œTactics without strategy is the noise before defeat. Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory.ā€