Three camp counselors fight off bobcat attack in Connecticut

Originally published at: Three camp counselors fight off bobcat attack in Connecticut | Boing Boing

2 Likes

picture of suspect:

5 Likes

One of the counselors was asleep in a hammock

Just like tying your food high up off the ground so as not to attract bears, one shouldn’t create large cat toys for bobcats. :man_shrugging:

10 Likes

When Bobcats attack.

IMG_9774

12 Likes

(in Bobcat’s voice)

“I just wanted to pet the hooman. Rawlr rawrlrawr”

Seriously though, hope it wasn’t rabies.

12 Likes

Extremely unusual event. Bobcats don’t do this. Rabies would be my #1 concern.

14 Likes

Yep.

I’ve heard that people in such incidents are lucky that they’re able to capture the animal, however difficult that is to do.

8 Likes

Glad they’re OK, but the first place my mind went to was…

6 Likes

yup. that’s Bob, alright.

7 Likes

any bobcat story must have this video

4 Likes

And, as many suspected, it had rabies.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/07/01/us/rabid-bobcat-attacks-connecticut-camper/index.html

The bobcat’s remains were taken to a state public health laboratory, where the animal tested positive for rabies, according to the statement.

6 Likes

Dayum! Putting together “rabid” + “bobcat” = “nightmare fuel” for me.

8 Likes

Try this one.

Cocaine Bobcat

2 Likes

Happy Excuse Me GIF

5 Likes

Salient advice from a vet text book:

8 Likes

That author has a cat.

ETA: Although I disagree in that I think they have a code of ethics. It’s probably close to that of the mafia or a gang. If you’re in the in group, you’re probably OK, but not always so; if you’re not in the in group and get in the way, you’re toast.

Currently owned by 3 cats. Only time I get sliced or bit is completely accidental.

2 Likes

DON’T FIGHT A CAT

Let alone a friggin rabid bobcat.

Hard to imagine how those involved killed this one. Unless someone shot it, which doesn’t seem to be the case.

4 Likes

There are rare exceptions that prove the rule, and I happen to own one of them (my cat regularly lets vets she barely knows give her a cystocentesis right on the table without complaint, and barely reacted when once accidentally cut with a scissor during grooming/bathing). Literally every professional that has ever cared for her has commented on how unusual that is.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.