Three dead in Netherlands tram shooting

Almost daily, 323 in the usa in 2018.

In light of the pile on effect and usa mass shootings, it makes sense there are going to be mass shootings on rare occasion in other places, there would be anyway, we’ve just given it a boost in the global mindscape and normalized it. We don’t have them all, the sum total of the rest are pretty much our rounding error though. sad but true.

interesting distinction. then you have to seperate military bombings from terrorist attacks, lots of grey line there. hadn’t thought about it specifically down that line.

no, but people will keep trying to divide us along those lines and instigate violence and hate. all the more important to stand in solidarity with the goods from all groups.

8 Likes
3 Likes

This is not the topic to discuss mental illness, unless the perpetrator is reported as suffering from mental illness. Please open a different topic if you wish.

14 Likes

I’d also like for that last panel to happen.

2 Likes

This is the ‘real face of modern terrorism’, with no need to share some asshole’s name.

Not really, since only a vanishingly small proportion of the BB readership lives in or near Utrecht.

5 Likes

Here in the UK we have probably the strictest gun laws in the world, as a result of a mass shooting in Hungerford, which was not terrorist related. It is now very rare for there to be any significant shooting sprees, shootings tend to be either gang or crime related, terrorists use bombs, or knives.
Europe, on the other hand, has an open border policy and the passage of guns across the continent from conflict regions like the Ukraine, Chechnya and even Syria is very much easier.

1 Like

@beschizza, could you please, please work on your urge to publish the name of terrorist arseholes?

We don’t need to know his name. We really don’t.

The same goes for @AlexG55.

Please. At least use spoiler tags for the name only. Who must know can click through.

2 Likes

FTR: from de Volkskrant news feed, translated, emphasis mine.

In addition to main suspect Gökmen T. and another suspect arrested earlier in the evening, the police arrested a third person. The police announced this on Monday evening […].
According to Rob van Bree, Head of Operations Unit of the Central Netherlands Police, it is still unclear whether the third suspect has anything to do with the shooting.
Earlier, the police said in a statement that the second suspect is suspected of involvement. The police do not want to say anything about the identity of both persons. Van Bree could not confirm that, as one witness reported, the shooter shouted “Allah Akbar” during the shooting.

Please note the sensible and ethical reporting.

1 Like

Please note this is the same police force who released the first suspect’s name while they were looking for him. You also seem to have made the reporting more ''sensible and ethical" than it actually was by blurring the suspect’s name- although now he is in custody the newspaper is following standard Dutch practice, naming the subject of criminal proceedings only by first name and initial.

I agree with you that further speculation is unwarranted, but I don’t think censoring the contents of official communications from the police is necessary.

I blurred out the name because I asked you and Rob to do the same, and thought to stick to my own words.

You noticed what I meant by ethical and sensible: the newspaper redacted the last name of the suspect. You also noted that the names of further suspects who are on custody are not released.

I object to the word censoring. I am asking for sensible and ethical reporting, including not rubbing the name of a (suspected, in that case) terrorist in everyone’s face.

To publish his name while he is still at large is justified; I concur to what @Otherbrother said. Also, under these circumstances, publishing his name on regional news is justified. Publishing / repeating it on BB and BB BBS is questionable, as @JonS noted.

I simply don’t want to be forced to remember his name by reading it everywhere I turn. I see no value in it, and even consider it to be harmful.

That said, if it is not totally and utterly against everything you believe in, I would still appreciate of you edited your post and redact his name.

And I kindly ask @beschizza to do the same.

ETA: I hope you guys are not assuming that I accuse you of being insensible and unethical, reciprocally to the commendable efforts I quoted and used the terms ethical and sensible for. I don’t want to quarrel. I want things to be even better. There’s always room for improvement.

2 Likes

apparently this guy was a Dutch meme back in 2011, a woman was doing vox pop interviews and he calls her a slut (for wearing revealing clothing) and then grabbed her microphone and called her ‘a cancer moron’ (the dutch like putting ‘cancer’ in front of everything for some reason). that video spread around social media.

there were reports in Turkey that this might just be some family dispute, but the police are still investigating it as a possible terrorist incident.

I posted his name while he was at large, and have now blurred it out.

1 Like

Thanks. I appreciate this.

Intersectionnal meninism: dudes who are douchebags tens to be evil on multiple frontal

2 Likes

In the recent NZ case:

“New Zealand’s Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern has vowed never to say the name of the Christchurch mosque gunman.
“He sought many things from his act of terror, but one was notoriety - that is why you will never hear me mention his name,” Ms Ardern said in an emotional address at New Zealand’s parliament.’”
From the BBC: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-47620630

But then the damn BBC goes and publishes the Nazi’s first name in the next paragraph. Argh.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.