Three mountain lions killed after eating mystery human remains

See also the clergy.

4 Likes

I want to like this, but I cannot.

1 Like

Your argument seems like semantics to me, and is unconvincing. Do we take the average domesticated human as the example, or the top big game hunter, or some typical pre-civilization adult according to our best understanding of anthropology.

It seems logical, doesn’t it? And yet tigers can become man-eaters when they are old, and starving because they cannot catch their regular game. No-one has recorded the expression as they realise “Oh my Cat, these two-legged jobs have been made of meat the whole time?!”, but I bet it is priceless.

It is sad about the mountain lions, though. But if keeping people alive is a priority, I can see why they were shot.

1 Like

It seems like most people in this thread get it, but in case anyone reading doesn’t, the game wardens absolutely did the right thing here. Three mountain lions who have figured out “there’s good eatin’ on one of those” are way too dangerous to let walk around. There’s nowhere they could be moved that they wouldn’t be in range of human children. And once they’ve figured out we’re prey, captivity is impossible. They become impossible to handle safely.

People opposed to this tend to have their view of wildlife acquired from Disney movies. These big cats are very dangerous and we live way too close them. Our coexistence depends on their general fear of us as noisy unpredictable unknowns not worth their trouble. The same largely goes for my house cat, as it happens, but that’s a story for another time.

1 Like

Mountain lions are extremely clever – A headline a decade ago even implied that they know how to phone authorities!

1 Like

And if they wandered back into a community “that would be catastrophic.”

I must know - was the pun intended?!?

4 Likes

In the same way that benefiting from institutional racism…
…need I go on?

Eh, big cats are better than people.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.